How does inverter not "produce" electricity.

Hi.
I just have a basic question that's probably pretty obvious. If a NOT gate (inverter) produce a high voltage when the input is low and a low voltage when the input is high, than isn't that like producing electricity? I you apply a low voltage then where did those 5V (or whatever high is) come from?
Thank you.

The circuit’s power source provides the current.

There’s always conservation of energy. Even with the humble inverters. First many circuits can produce an inversion. A transistor in common emitter bias can be an inverter. A mosfet can be an inverter, so can an opamp. I believe what your referring to is a NOT gate or a hex inverter, comparator or Schmitt inverter. Basically they will do nothing without power. They don’t generate power they just switch it opposite to the input. All inverters require a power supply and ground connection.

So there are four terminals? Power, ground, input and output.

Referring to the logic gate inverter (Also called a NOT gate)...not the device that you can convert 12V automotive power into house power...

An inverter like a 4049 chip for example still has the power coming from another pin. In the case of a 4049 chip, it's coming from the power source connected to pin 8.

Most simplified, an Inverter is nothing more than a transistor that turn on when there is no voltage on it's input, and turns of when there is voltage on the input. The power source is where the output comes from.

Google for Single Transistor NOT gate for more info.

Ok. Thank you.

Im not sure if I’ve seen a single inverter IC, I suppose that would be an opamp. Generally they are in an array like this.

7404 is TTL and the 4049 is CMOS

wolframore:
Im not sure if I’ve seen a single inverter IC,

Really?

Click me!

7404?

4049?

Antiques! You kidding?

An inverter does not "produce" voltage it's a switch. If the input is LOW, the output is connected to +V, if HIGH, output is connected to 0V or "ground".

Damn .. another perpetual motion machine bites the dust ...

Paul__B:
Really?

7404?

4049?

Antiques! You kidding?

Does that matter? Your point? Look at the 555 which is a dinosaur over billion sold annually. Inverting is simple,

Be careful with the single channel one they come in various gates and only a digit or two difference in part number, I just never see them used.

JCA34F:
An inverter does not "produce" voltage it's a switch. If the input is LOW, the output is connected to +V, if HIGH, output is connected to 0V or "ground".

So they have Vcc and gnd pins, right?