How in the Arduino IDE do I get the .hex file out

How in the Arduino IDE do I get the .hex file out (gives me bytes of flash used - including EEPROM) and the device flash/eeprom usage data?

Hello folks ... I am new to Arduino / Atmel microcontrollers. Newbie ... but with experience

I am especially new to Arduino IDE ... like just this morning a few hours ago. I was able to compile GRBL (0.9i) this morning and flash it to a MEGA2560 Arduino board (orignal - not a clone or rip) and it seems to work. I put GRBL Controller on Raspberry PI 2 and have it up and running - no further tests such as attaching it to my Stepper driver boards as of yet - but should later this day. I have been studying solutions to a CNC router controller system (JGRO) for about 6 months and have most of the hardware needed and have started construction on the router frame itself - be a little while on that.

I began a few days ago with the Atmel Studio IDE and quickly became lost in how to 'put the GRBL source files into it to edit/compile' and will continue working on that. However, I came across a Github instruction on how to compile and upload GRBL to my newly acquired MEGA2560 board using the Arduino IDE (latest is 1.6.1 I believe - downloaded this morning) and used that successfully to program GRBL (modified to Atmel 2560 pin interfacing) to interface with my Raspberry Pi 2 GRBLController (SUCCESS!! ... thusfar).

My question is concerning the Arduino IDE. It appears that I cannot open a .c or .h file within the environment to edit (leaving me with a HEAVY with regards to computer resources Atmel Studio IDE in order to do so with basic error checking to assure I didn't create a syntax error). Also, there appears to be no way of 'saving' the .hex file used by the Arduino IDE nor to see the ATMEL device flash memory usage and available. I am used to Microchip IDE which does not have an issue doing this; but, the Arduino IDE does.

When the build is done, the build directory path is displayed in the console window. The HEX file is in that directory. It can be copied, and avrdude can be used from the command line or a batch file to download the file to a board outside the IDE.

Regards, Ray L.

Doh!!!

Sketch uses 28,206 bytes (11%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes. Global variables use 1,491 bytes (18%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6,701 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.

Well ... figured out one of the issues - scroll up in the bottom status box of the Arduino IDE and get the 'bytes' used for the ATMEL2560.

Now still remains ... how to get the hex file and to modify .h or .c files.

RayLivingston: When the build is done, the build directory path is displayed in the console window. The HEX file is in that directory. It can be copied, and avrdude can be used from the command line or a batch file to download the file to a board outside the IDE.

Regards, Ray L.

Thanks Ray ... knew I could count on this Forum ... in the Arduino IDE 1.6.1 I do not find a directory path to an .hex file ... will keep looking. The Arduino IDE only seems to have a single window with the capability of creating additional tabs.

Try enabling verbose output in preferences

Hi on your arduino ide

file---preferences----show verbose output during ( tick compilation)

find the build xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hex...

follow the path it shows to look for that hex file (i am using windows 7)

siutoejai: Hi on your arduino ide

file---preferences----show verbose output during ( tick compilation)

find the build xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx hex...

follow the path it shows to look for that hex file (i am using windows 7)

AWOL: Try enabling verbose output in preferences

Ok ... got it ... it puts the .hex in a temp directory ... sheesh!! ... Thanks all seems I have some answers except for how to edit existing .h or .c files ....