How many Arduinos can be used with a single computer?

Hullo,

I'd like to use a series of Arduinos with a single PC, and I'm wondering how many it is possible to connect.

Am I limited by USB ports? (I have eight.) Can I have eight instances of the Arduino IDE and serial monitor running?

(I realize I can use one Arduino to control multiple others-- I will move to this stage at some point, but in the mean time would like to connect each individually.)

P.S. I'm quite new to the world of Arduino-- please do not assume a lot of prior knowledge (pointers in the direction of where to find this knowledge are accepted and appreciated!).

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Each one plugged in will be in a seperate port or com, depending on what program writing youll be using... also, you could always preprogram whatever it is your trying to do, one arduino at a time if your running something with only say 2 or 4 usb like a PI. So long you have a power source. Not sure exactly what your trying to accomplish so its hard to weigh in, plus it seems like this forum is kind of dead. Goodluck.

You will probably have to use a separate terminal emulation window for each Arduino. I don't think you can have multiple instances of the IDE or of Serial Monitor windows within the IDE.

If you are using more Arduinos than you have USB ports you would need some USB Hubs. If the Arduinos are powered from USB you will almost certainly need powered hubs. I think the USB limit is over 200 devices but there may be other limits you hit first.

I think the limit is going to be the 127 devices on the EHCI bus.

Windows com port limit is 256 by default but can be raised with registry settings.

johnwasser: I don't think you can have multiple instances of the IDE or of Serial Monitor windows within the IDE.

I tried it, and one can run multiple instances of the Arduino IDE and multiple serial monitors. Not sure the limits of this... yet.