how many motors i can control with a single A4988.

Hi,

I want to know how many motors i can control with a single microstepper A4988.

This is because i want to connect and control 4 NEMA17 that each one consumes 0,4 A and 12V on a Fysect F6 V1.3, with a single output of the board. Prevously, i had connected 2 NEMA17 that consume 1,7 A and 12V and the microstepper "didn't explode".

It depends on the supply voltage and your motor impedance - yours seem to be high-impedance
(25 ohm?)

With about 18V+ you can drive one motor, with 36V you'd be able to drive two (the windings
have to be connected in series, ie both A windings in series, both B windings in series).

You won't get much speed with high-impedance steppers as they have high inductance.

For a low-impedance stepper you could drive more motors this way. Low impedance motors
take up less voltage headroom, so you'd probably get away with 4 on only 24V.

juliobf98:
I want to know how many motors i can control with a single microstepper A4988.

I'm not at all disputing what @MarkT has said in Reply #1

However my answer to your question would be much simpler "one" - it's not as if the A4988 is very expensive. You would have a lot more flexibility with your programming if each motor has its own driver.

...R

The motors will be connected in parallel, so the voltage stays the same, and the only thing that increases is the current, so, could it be possible?

juliobf98:
The motors will be connected in parallel, so the voltage stays the same,

With a single driver the motors must be connected in series. That's why @MarkT says that higher voltages are needed.

Why do you want to connect multiple motors to a single driver?

...R

Let me explain my current situation:

Previously I had connected 2 NEMA17 17HS8401 in parallel to a single A4988, because I have a 12V 30A (360W) power supply, and it worked very well, but I needed more stability, so I thought about changing those motors for 4 NEMA17 17HS13-0404S1, which consume much less current. So, could it be possible?

juliobf98:
Previously I had connected 2 NEMA17 17HS8401 in parallel to a single A4988, because I have a 12V 30A (360W) power supply, and it worked very well, but I needed more stability, so I thought about changing those motors for 4 NEMA17 17HS13-0404S1, which consume much less current. So, could it be possible?

As you have not described the project I can't understand what you mean by "stability" or have any idea whether more motors are the answer.

If you mean that the steppers are missing steps then more motors is unlikely to be the answer.

...R

no no, they are not missing steps.

The function of the engines is to make a platform go up and down, but for some reason, it doesn't have the desired stability, so with 4 motors i would get that stability.

PS: The project is a 3D printer, and what I'm trying to do is the printing surface.