How many stepper motors can be controlled with arduino?

I want to know what is the maximum number of stepper motors that Arduino is able to manage
data of the motors (NEMA Motor - RepRap)
Using a 1.4 RAMPS currently can handle four engines of this type; it is possible to increase the amount of engine also not managed using the more ramps 1.4 but also other drivers.

I thank you for your attention.

Greetings.

1 Like

I want to know what is the maximum number of stepper motors that Arduino is able to manage

As many as you want.

I think the limitation is going to arise in the speed of the code that controls the motors rather than in the number of physical connections.

Assuming each stepper driver board requires a step and a direction pin an Uno has 12 free digital I/O pins and 6 analog pins thaat can also be used for digital I/O making 18 in all - which could control 9 steppers. A Mega has many more I/O pins.

However your code will need to do calculations to figure out when each motor should get a step pulse and time taken to do those calculations will ultimately limit how fast the steps can be repeated. In other words you could control more motors if they only need to move slowly. And, by the way, I am talking about the "calculations" that go on inside the AccelStepper library as well as in your own code.

...R

Yes but even with a Uno there are port expanders so there is no practical limit at all.
I think what you are considering is the number of motors that can turn at the same time not the total number of motors. If you only move one motor that will be every bit as fast if you had 1 motor on your system or if you had 3000 motors.

Admittedly if you had 3000 motors they could not all move at the same time at different speeds as 1 motor.

The point of my first reply was to illustrate what a very poor question this was in the way it was put. My answer given was as good as the question.

Thank you for your clarification

Now step to the programming
I eventually chose a card ramps 1.4 to get the necessary drivers in the handling of engines.
Post photos and all the continuation of the project.

Greetings.