How many stepper motors can the Arduino Nano control? With Video!!!

Hello! The Arduino Mega 2560 has 14 PWM outputs, is it thus be possible to control 7 stepper motors (for the RepRap are used, for example, maximally 6 stepper motors), and is it possible to control 3 stepper motors with Arduino Nano which has 6 PWM outputs? Many Greetings

Video about the new open source 3D printer RepRap with the Arduino Mega 2560 as stepper motor controller:

(deleted)

Thanks, you surly mean 2 pwm per stepper motor. Would it thus be possible to use the small controller Arduino Nano for the 3 motors of a 3-axis CNC Machine, or are there restrictions? Unfortunately i don't know much about stepper motor controllers and the boards of Arduino.

It is not necessary to use PWM to control a stepping motor, it fact it is a mistake. Just simple logic outputs, one to step and the other for direction, if you have a stepping motor driver.

Maybe the Ardunio Nano was not created for such functions.

No it is very sutiable to do such things. You just don't understand what stepping motors are about.

With the Arduino Mega 2560 it seemingly works to control 6 stepper motors, so why shouldn't it be possible to control 3 stepper motors with the Arduino Nano, but can i be sure that the software or microcontroller of such a small board is suitable to control more than 2 axis simultaneously?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tJ31aJGZA

so why shouldn't it be possible to control 3 stepper motors with the Arduino Nano

You can no one said you coudn't. You need 2 lines to control a stepping motor and you can control as many as you like.

what is the maximum dissipation current that i can drop into GND pin. I am using Arduino Nano with ATMEGA 328

code_warriors: what is the maximum dissipation current that i can drop into GND pin. I am using Arduino Nano with ATMEGA 328

You should start a new topic. And explain in greater detail what is your setup and what you're trying to do.

You should start a new post but the answer is 200mA.

The Arduino Mega 2560 can control 14 stepper motors: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1291570493 The Arduino Nano can control 6 stepper motors and is even suitable for the RepRap: http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_2_Electronics#Parts_List

The Arduino Mega 2560 can control 14 stepper motors:

May be but it can control a lot more than simply 14. Remember it only takes 2 outputs to control a motor so divide the number of output by two to get the maximum number without adding more outputs from a port expander.

"How many" is not a particularly interesting question in itself. It's more interesting when you have specific engineering constraints -- cost, space, power, etc. There exists I2C stepper controllers. You can thus control many dozens of stepper motors using only two signals; the I2C clock and data signals. There also exist SPI stepper controllers; you need three signals (MOSI, MISO, SCK) shared among all, and then one signal for chip select per control chip.