How many ways can you get something wrong? :)

I've just been building a breadboard circuit with an LD1117 3.3v regulator.

I have the datasheet in front of me. It has 3 pins - left to right they are GND, OUT, IN.

I must have tried every possible wrong combination before I got it working!

Old age, I suppose.

Just as well the device is robust!

...R

;D

I did some advanced calculus and computer modeling and concluded that there are 6 possible ways to arrange 3 items. :slight_smile:

But if you think that’s bad, I more often than not need two attempts to plug in USB cables. That’s a fail with only 2 possible ways. If I don’t look at the socket and the plug first to figure out which way it goes in, and decided to brute force algorithm it by just trial and error, I literally get it wrong on the first attempt more than 50% of the time. I just have rotten luck.

INTP:
If I don't look at the socket and the plug first to figure out which way it goes in

The raised USB symbol is always on the top of the connector. :wink:

It's well known that USB cables always need three attempts before they plug in.

:slight_smile:

Graynomad:
It's well known that USB cables always need three attempts before they plug in.

Man, that is true more times than I'd like to admit. Especially with micro-USB plugs like for a phone. First orientation was correct, but it snags or doesn't go in for some reason, flip it around, still doesn't go in, have to give it a third go in the secret third option. :confused:

INTP:
Man, that is true more times than I'd like to admit. Especially with micro-USB plugs like for a phone. First orientation was correct, but it snags or doesn't go in for some reason, flip it around, still doesn't go in, have to give it a third go in the secret third option. :confused:

try plugging it in sideways?

It's a USB port, not a woman.

I forget who but someone named it the Quantum USB Superposition Theorem. Basically the socket can be incorrect both ways at once.

[quote author=Coding Badly date=1469999719 link=msg=2864108]
The raised USB symbol is always on the top of the connector. :wink: [/quote]
Not much use if your computer has the sockets upside down, as one of mine does.

Robin2:
I’ve just been building a breadboard circuit with an LD1117 3.3v regulator.

I have the datasheet in front of me. It has 3 pins - left to right they are GND, OUT, IN.

I must have tried every possible wrong combination before I got it working!

Old age, I suppose.

Just as well the device is robust!

…R

Watching those things burn up when you hook 12v to a 6v MAX regulator is kinda fun… The first one just smoked a little, the second one turned into a ball of flames. Then i decided to take a gander at the data sheet.

I’m out about 30 bucks… (two esp8266, two PCBs, and capacitors/resistors);

Hey Robin, I have come to assume that whichever way I try some binary(ish) thing will be the wrong choice the first time. I can take ths into account, but then the rules change (by spooky action) and the way I was going to do it was right, so if I change, it will still be the wrong way.

Usb cables are just the beginning. The worst for me is password/username combinations. They usually give you three tries at a login until locking you out. However, there are four combinations of two usernames and two passwords.

The raised USB symbol is always on the top of the connector.

almost all of my desktops have vertical USB sockets...

ChrisTenone:
Hey Robin, I have come to assume that whichever way I try some binary(ish) thing will be the wrong choice the first time. I can take ths into account, but then the rules change (by spooky action) and the way I was going to do it was right, so if I change, it will still be the wrong way.

Yeah - I think that nails it :slight_smile:

...R

No matter how many times I look I always manage to line the 9pin DIL com-port plug the wrong way up.
My excuse, it doesn't have an UP /TOP arrow.

Tom... :slight_smile: