How much can I relay on Arduino?

Hi
I am new to arduino.
I have some questions.
How much can I relay on Arduino ?
Can i use it in commercial Machine development or commercial application ?
If not can you suggest it’s counter part for commercial application?
I made first project with Arduino for stepper motor.

I use following components
Arduino
Standard Power Supply for 14V
A4988 Stepper Motor Driver
nema 23hs6620 stepper Motor

It works well but some time when I start some other electrical equipments the stepper motor
fluctuating it moves 1 ~ 2 step in either direction.

Following is my circuit diagram

diagram.png

npatel33:
Hi
I am new to arduino.
I have some questions.
How much can I relay on Arduino ?
Can i use it in commercial Machine development or commercial application ?
If not can you suggest it’s counter part for commercial application?
I made first project with Arduino for stepper motor.

I use following components
Arduino
Standard Power Supply for 14V
A4988 Stepper Motor Driver
nema 23hs6620 stepper Motor

It works well but some time when I start some other electrical equipments the stepper motor
fluctuating it moves 1 ~ 2 step in either direction.

Following is my circuit diagram

diagram.png

Whether or not you can rely on an Arduino depends on what your commercial application is.
You should not use an Arduino in safety critical applications i.e. where its failure could result in injury or death.
In that situation you would look for equipment specifically rated for whatever you are trying to do.
If the commercial application is not safety critical then an Arduino can be used.

You should try to get Mean Time Between Failure figures to determine how reliable it will be and also make sure you are using it within specification e.g. dry, correct temperature, correct power supply.
An important consideration is support for the product - can you employ people who know how to program an Arduino and can understand your existing product.

Regarding the problem you are having with your motor stepping when you turn on other equipment. I am not an electronics person but it sounds like electrical interference. What are you turning on, is it a large load, does it cause drops or spikes in the power supplied to either the Arduino of the motor?

I think you mean "rely" rather than "relay".

The Atmega microprocessors that are used in Arduinos are widely used (in their millions) in commercial applications. An Arduino board such as an Uno or Mega is unlikely to be suitable because the sockets for making connections would not be as reliable as a board with soldered or screw connections. However you can get boards that have more suitable connections or you could develop a project on (say) an Uno and later build the commercial project on your own PCB using Atmega 328 microprocessors.

...R

ardly:
Whether or not you can rely on an Arduino depends on what your commercial application is.
You should not use an Arduino in safety critical applications i.e. where its failure could result in injury or death.
In that situation you would look for equipment specifically rated for whatever you are trying to do.
If the commercial application is not safety critical then an Arduino can be used.

You should try to get Mean Time Between Failure figures to determine how reliable it will be and also make sure you are using it within specification e.g. dry, correct temperature, correct power supply.
An important consideration is support for the product - can you employ people who know how to program an Arduino and can understand your existing product.

Regarding the problem you are having with your motor stepping when you turn on other equipment. I am not an electronics person but it sounds like electrical interference. What are you turning on, is it a large load, does it cause drops or spikes in the power supplied to either the Arduino of the motor?

Safety is not a concern (as Arduino failure will not harm any human) but the application needs high on accuracy.
I have used a Capacitor with the power supply connection. Can you suggest any components which will reduce the electrical interference ?

Can I control large Stepper motor (like NEMA 23/24/34 Stepper Motors with IP67 Protection) with the Arduino ?

Can I control large Stepper motor (like NEMA 23/24/34 Stepper Motors with IP67 Protection) with the Arduino ?

Of course you can with the right stepper controller. The Arduino will not know what is being controlled, but you should take appropriate measures to ensure that voltage spikes do not appear on the wires providing power to the Arduino.

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum.
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Can you post a picture of your project so we can see your component layout and advise on fixing your interference problem.
How are you powering the Arduino, what model is it?

Does your image you posted show ALL the components?

Thanks.. Tom... :slight_smile:

That is my question too. The schematic as shown looks pretty stupid. How does the Arduino know when it should move the motor? There must be another input you aren't showing.