How powering the Arduino with 230 Volts

Hi,

I wish had a master who controls multiple Arduino Nano placed in lamp case, and I would like these Arduino Nano operate with the lamp voltage, which is 230 volts. How to regulate this current to 5 volts?

thank you :)

Use a power adapter - either a wallwart style supply, or one of the modules from ebay (these are the guts that go into wallwarts, without the plastic around them). Both kinds are readily available on ebay.

I'm referring to modules like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-5V-1A-1000mA-Power-Supply-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Small-Size-/271648294711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3f800737 (no endorsement of that particular listing) If you go the latter route, be very careful that the line voltage can't accidentally come into contact with the frame or the low voltage wires, which could electrocute someone or start a fire.

Have you looked on eBay?

DrAzzy: Use a power adapter - either a wallwart style supply, or one of the modules from ebay (these are the guts that go into wallwarts, without the plastic around them). Both kinds are readily available on ebay.

I'm referring to modules like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-5V-1A-1000mA-Power-Supply-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Small-Size-/271648294711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f3f800737 (no endorsement of that particular listing) If you go the latter route, be very careful that the line voltage can't accidentally come into contact with the frame or the low voltage wires, which could electrocute someone or start a fire.

Perfect thanks. The Arduino and this "regulator" will be in a case and soldered so don't worry about that :)

The fact you're working with AC but don't know what a wall wart/ switch mode / buck boost regulator makes me worry.

1:1:
The fact you’re working with AC but don’t know what a wall wart/ switch mode / buck boost regulator makes me worry.

+1

wayz: Perfect thanks. The Arduino and this "regulator" will be in a case and soldered so don't worry about that :)

Make sure you respect the creepage and clearance distance rules. In other words, that live parts are kept well away from other parts and are mechanically secure. As you would seem to be in Europe the standard IEC 60065 would probably apply for safety considerations.

Remember 230 Vac can be lethal.

Russell.

wayz:
Perfect thanks. The Arduino and this “regulator” will be in a case and soldered so don’t worry about that :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what the standards are but someone once suggested something to me that made sense. When working with potentially high power cabling it’s better to mechanically secure it than to solder - if there was a problem/short the only thing it’s going to do is heat up, if it heats up then the solder could shift… z z z … sploink! …

zap

I bet there is more to it/more to learn/more to consider - but it’s something to think about.

Maybe you were only referring to the lower power DC side … In any case, please try hard not to overestimate your knowledge.