How Special Relativity Makes Magnets Work

Just the electromagnetism explanation.. I can see it but where's the torque?

Nope, haven't watched the followup yet.

Will Australia become the new science and tech center at the rate they're going?
Or will it be China?
We're too busy getting "taken back" to the science is evil opinion dark ages here in the US.

GoForSmoke:
We're too busy getting "taken back" to the science is evil opinion dark ages here in the US.

Don't feel left out of it, we don't have a Science Minister any more, since the election.

We’ve had one of these advising various presidents… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Graham#Pastor_to_presidents

Thanks to Nancy Reagan we have even had one of these… http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Quigley

But Science Minister#? Can’t see that ever happening here.

# i.e. “Cabinet Member”

We have a Sports Minister.

You have to get your priorities right when you are running a country.

We have a Sports Minister.

He did a great job with the cricket didn't he. :wink: XD

And they were most careful to remove all those troublesome advisory people on Climate Change.

I see the shows covering the destruction and I see the right wing politicians. They talk about God while they act like demons.

GoForSmoke:
Just the electromagnetism explanation.. I can see it but where's the torque?

How Special Relativity Makes Magnets Work - YouTube

Nope, haven't watched the followup yet.

Will Australia become the new science and tech center at the rate they're going?
Or will it be China?

seen this - - YouTube - or one of the earlier editions?

Telecommando:
Sad, isn't it?

Yes, sport doesn't really need defense. After all, very few people argue that sport is useless, has no purpose, "isn't real", or that we don't need it.

But a lot of people are certain that science is wrong (at least in the area that they happen to not agree with).

robtillaart:
seen this - ... - or one of the earlier editions?

Very interesting video.

Well I say screw the bleedin politicians, the silly wankers should be dropped in a hole and covered with concrete. Up to the necks is not enough concrete. OTOH, sliced thin enough they might cover a lot of roofs. That'd be a lesson not soon forgotten.

Something important, just how does Special Relativity explain the right hand rule?

The video shows the + charge repelled by the wire as from a + charge.

GoForSmoke:
I see the shows covering the destruction and I see the right wing politicians. They talk about God while they act like demons.

You need your glasses checked...

Maybe we could tell the politicians, managers and hairdressers that the world is doomed and make a spaceship to send them to a safe planet and we'll come as soon as our ship is ready?

Best regards
Jantje

PS seems like I heard this before ]:smiley:

But how did magnets work before special relativity? That's the question I want answered...

But how did magnets work before special relativity? That's the question I want answered...

They worked quite well, :wink:

some names:

1905 relativity Einstein
1890? Heaviside/Lorentz - described Lorentz force
1870? Maxwell theories
1835? Farady's laws
1830? Zantedeschi described relation between voltage and magnetism

think Maxwell is the first person that understood magnetism a bit.

In the middle ages magnetism was just a property (right mix of air, fire, earth and water :slight_smile:

Both Faraday and Lenz kicked off the understanding of induction and EMF in the early 1800's. They turned out the first working theory in that it took Lenz to put the right sign (direction) on Faraday's Law. The big leap was that fields resist changing. We got motors and generators from that, Tesla got the first big apps with his use of AC electric.

Jantje:
Maybe we could tell the politicians, managers and hairdressers that the world is doomed and make a spaceship to send them to a safe planet and we'll come as soon as our ship is ready?

Chased by a large goat. :slight_smile:

Send the lawyers, priests and televangelists too.