how the measure dimension of a regular object

Dear

I want to make a project on 2 dimension measurement. In that case, I need to measure dimensions (length and breadth) of a rectangular sample.

How can I do with arduino.

I was thinking of an rectangular platform of a particular color (say white). That platform dimension be X mm length and Y mm breadth.
Over the platform, I will keep the sample having size smaller than the platform dimensions. the sample will be different color (say black).

At a plane parallel to the platform, I will take the picture. Then with the help of color processing through Arduino, I will get the exact dimensions of the sample. Further these dimensions can be compared with the tolerance dimensions set in the arduino program. Thus the samples can be accepted or rejected by comparison.

Please help how to proceed. whether what I thought can be applicable and how? In case, any other option is there to get the same result.

What are the components required for the project.

Please do the needful.

Thanks
Santosh Mandal

Not at all practical (or even possible) with an Arduino due to the limited memory, especially ram which would need to hold the entire image for manipulation.

It's a job for Raspberry Pi, a PC would be faster.

This is just bouncing off the wall (no pun intended) but, could ultrasonic sensors be helpful? Not sure of the accuracy you require and I've only played around with them a bit but if you had then at per-determined distances from the object on several sides, you could extrapolate the dimensions from that data?

Probably wouldn't work...but just echoing my random thoughts about doing something like that.

I'm sure the experts will have a clever and efficient way to do what you need to do.

You gave no sense of the size of the object to be measured, or the required speed of measurement.
Didn't you think that would have some bearing on the solution?

You could use one of these:- Adafruit VL6180X Time of Flight Distance Ranging Sensor (VL6180) [STEMMA QT] : ID 3316 : $13.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

If the size and accuracy it gives is up to it.

The Arduino is not a natural choice for image processing, it is relatively slow and has little RAM. However your application should be possible if you use an SD card to store the images.

It would greatly simplify things if the edges of the sample were parallel with the edges of the image and also aligned so that the long edge of the sample lay along the long edge of the platform.

The simpler the image file format used the better. You want to avoid compressed formats because you would have to uncompress them. Ideally you just want raw camera data of one byte per pixel.

The resolution of your images will determine the accuracy of your measurements. However the higher theresolution the more storage will be needed and the slower processing will be.

quamikazee:
This is just bouncing off the wall (no pun intended) but, could ultrasonic sensors be helpful?

Industrial cubers use this principle.

umeetsantosh:
Dear

I want to make a project on 2 dimension measurement. In that case, I need to measure dimensions (length and breadth) of a rectangular sample.

How can I do with arduino.

I was thinking of an rectangular platform of a particular color (say white). That platform dimension be X mm length and Y mm breadth.
Over the platform, I will keep the sample having size smaller than the platform dimensions. the sample will be different color (say black).

At a plane parallel to the platform, I will take the picture. Then with the help of color processing through Arduino, I will get the exact dimensions of the sample. Further these dimensions can be compared with the tolerance dimensions set in the arduino program. Thus the samples can be accepted or rejected by comparison.

Please help how to proceed. whether what I thought can be applicable and how? In case, any other option is there to get the same result.

What are the components required for the project.

Please do the needful.

Thanks
Santosh Mandal

How about a digitizer board? You can find small ones (used) for less than $100. Some are are accurate to 0.002". What size object are you trying to measure? Better connected to PC than Arduino.

dougp:
Industrial cubers use this principle.

Really? Cool. Didn’t know that :slight_smile: