how to.. 2 channel bluetooth motor control

Hi, I have 2, 30amp motors 2, 30amp controllers

I want to control them both independently, through Bluetooth (smartphone app, iOS & android) Just need to know what to buy and a wiring diagram and anything else I’m unaware of… Apologies, I’m am very new at this. Not sure what I’m doing.

Thank you. Pete.

What motors? What controllers? What do you want to control? Just on/off? Motor speed? Speed and direction, forward/reverse?

Do you already have the smartphone apps you need for Android/IOS?

Steve

Thanks for getting back to me mate... Want to control on/off and speed only. I do not have an app and don’t know anything about that haha. I’ve copied all the info I could find on the motor and controllers, hope it is enough for you. There are no brand names (Chinese).

Note: everything is 12v.

CONTROLLERS...

Working voltage:DC10V- DC 50V. Rated current:40A(Maximum output current). Control Motor Power:0.01-2000W. Working voltage 12V:12V*40A=480W(max). Working voltage 24V:24V*40A=960W(max). Working voltage 36V:36V*40A=1440W(max). Working voltage 50V:50V*40A=2000W(max). Quiescent current:0.025A. PWM Regulation range:5-100%. PWN Frequency:12khz. PCB Size:90x51mm(inch:3.5"x2"). Case size:105x55x40mm(inch:4"x2.2"x1.6"). Operating temperature:-20°C~40°C.

MOTORS...

12v No Load Current: 1.8 Amps 24v No Load Current: 0.9A Working Voltage: 12V or 24V DC (12V or 24V motors available dependant on stock levels) Rated Torque: 20 Nm (Locked Rotor Torque) Optimal torque: is 12.5Nm Motor Speed: 3600 RPM/160-180 RPM at Gearbox dependant on load. Rated Current 12/24 Volts: 16amps at 12v OR 8 Amps FOR 24v, No load rating of 1A

Thanks again.

First, get the motors, controllers, power supplies, and Arduino wired and running.

Then, write code to send the control parameters to the Arduino from the Serial monitor. Robin2's tutorial on Serial communications is a good reference, http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=396450

Then, you can move to Bluetooth, and if you use the module on the hardware serial pins you will not have to change the Arduino code. The BT will just replace the serial monitor.

I do not have an app and don't know anything about that haha.

To send and receive the messages to the BT you can probably use a standard Terminal App. I use this one. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.kai_morich.serial_bluetooth_terminal&hl=en_US There are several function buttons for sending pre-formatted messages.

If the standard terminal does not meet your needs, you can look for a motor control app which I'm sure exists. Alternatively you can write our own app with MIT App Inventor 2.

thanks for that... awesome.

but having the supply, controllers and motors,

what arduino gear should I get?

what arduino gear should I get?

Let's get some questions answered first

through Bluetooth (smartphone app, iOS & android)

Do you really need both? Using Android and Classic Bluetooth v2.0 is the lowest cost and most simple. Unfortunately you can't easily use it with iOS. If iOS is a must, then you will have to use BLE (Bluetooth 4.0). This can be used with Android. BLE can be complicted when using the lowest cost modules, and an integrated solution with good support like the Adafruit Feather might ease the job.

For KISS, stick with Android and an HC05 module.

How do you plan to house/package the arduino and Bluetooth module. Battery or wired power? Is this an industrial environment? Vibration? You will probably need the Arduino and Module soldered on some sort of perf board or expansion shield instead of a solderless breadboard. A Nano might be a good choice for this.

PWM Regulation range:5-100%. PWM Frequency:12khz.

Is the speed control PWM at 12V? If so, the Arduino 5v pwm output will have to drive a transistor.

Are you planning any speed feedback with an encoder? What are these motors going to be doing? You will probably need some sort of relay board to turn the power to the motors on and off.

What Arduino experience do you have? What motor control experience?

yes I must be both android and iOS. Not need for speed feedback. Packaged in an ABS box. Powered 12v. Motors will be driving wheels (buggy for my boy). Environment... clean. Smooth and dark.

Experience... I’ve made many things with these motors and controllers before, but never Bluetooth. Almost no experience with Arduino.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

You need to think of this as two separate projects - {A} making your motors do things and {B} receiving a message using Bluetooth.

I suggest you write a simple program to receive the message and display it on the Arduino Serial Monitor without worrying about the motors for the moment. The message could be as simple as <123, -79> which would tell the Arduino to make one motor move clockwise with a PWM value of 234 and the other move counter-clockwise with a PWM value of 79.

I don’t have any experience with Apple phones so I can’t help with the BLE connections but the data should be same whether it comes from an Apple or Android phone.

…R
Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

Experience... I've made many things with these motors and controllers before, but never Bluetooth. Almost no experience with Arduino.

Robin2 is echoing my earlier advice--develop the motor control and the serial communication before adding the Bluetooth. There is plenty of information available about using the Arduino for motor control and communicating with it through the Serial monitor.

Regarding the BLE (Bluetooth 4.0, Bluetooth Low Energy) which is required for the Apple ios, my advice is to go with an integrated solution using an Adafruit Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2829

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-feather/bluetooth-feathers

There is good support and tutorials available. It is designed for battery operation. There is a second hardware serial port available so you can avoid software serial and develop your code with both the monitor and bluetooth active. The Feather option is not going to be the lowest cost, but I believe you will be more successful than with adding an HM10 BLE module to a base Arduino.