I have developed a way to easily display 8 lines by 16 characters on a 128x64 Graphic LCD using a ST7920 driver chip on a SPI bus. This display is widely bought for it’s graphic display capabilities, however, this device is only capable of displaying a 4x16 English font as a default display mode. (see sample sketch available from DFRobot and others.) Many developers have wished for more character display capability. This program allows the use of this device as a character display eliminating the expense of a dedicated character display.
This program requires a DFRobot DFR0091 SPI LCD module or equivalent.
This program requires the following devices:
- A SPI enabled 128x64 LCD graphic display using the ST7920 driver chip*, such as the DFRobot DFR0091 SPI LCD module
- An EEPROM module on I2C at 0x55*, such as the DFRobot DFR0117 EEPROM module
*see sketch comments for additional information
You will need to install two (2) sketches:
- Install “Write_EEPROM_Data.pde” into your Arduino program directory.
- Copy “asciiFont.h” to the Write_EEPROM_Data directory created above.
- Install “LCD_Test.pde” into your Arduino program directory.
After you have installed the above sketches:
- Using Arduino IDE 022, load and run Write_EEPROM_Data to write font data to EEPROM.
- Using Arduino IDE 022, load and run LCD_Test.
*** This software is free public domain. It is offered AS-IS, no warranty or guarantee of any kind, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. ***
Dr. Sandy Teller
Write_EEPROM_Data.pde (2.97 KB)
asciiFont.h (9.88 KB)
LCD__Test.pde (5.49 KB)