How to approximately calculate the power consumed by the system

I have an Arduino with different parts connected, think of LED's, an axial fan, servo motors, etc. Now I wish to calculate the overall power consumed, is it possible to simply add the power consumption of each individual part or is that to easy?

Yes theoretically you can add the power consumption of each part to calculate the total consumption.

You can also measure the total consumption with a multimeter set on the amps range connected in series with the main power supply line of your system.

Be careful not to connect the meter in parallel or your will most likely burn its fuse.

Have also in mind that the total consumption might not be constant. For example an ESP wifi module consumes more power when transmitting. Other modules with LEDs might use more power when the leds are on etc

Watcher:
Be careful not to connect the meter in parallel

Watcher:
Be careful not to connect the meter in parallel or your will most likely burn its fuse.

You can also blow a fuse even if correctly connected but using too low a current range. How do I know this? :roll_eyes: Mine has two fuses, one for 10A, one for mA. Start on the high range, if available.