How to Ask: "Is the LED hooked up to pin(x) lit?"

Using a Mega, I have pushbutton input switches, which I've numbered 1-8 hooked up to Pins 22-29. I have eight outputs going to LEDs, which I've numbered 1-8 hooked up to Analog Pins 6-13.

I want the program logic to say this: "In order to proceed, the light to the LEFT of the switch just pressed must be ON."
So, in the diagram below, pressing switch 2 will do nothing because the LED to its left (LED 1) is off. Pressing switch 3 will do something because the LED to its left (LED 2) is on.

SWITCHES: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

LEDs: off on off on on on on off

so, my pseudocode looks like...

// user pressed a switch causing 'pressed' to be the appropriate number - - say pressed = 3

if (LED[pressed-1] == HIGH) // Is the LED just to the left of this switch lit?
do something; //if OFF, do nothing

...so The Question: Can I directly ask if a specific LED output pin is HIGH or LOW??

If not, I could set up an array of 8 integers and and send the appropriate array element HIGH when I turn the LED on, and send that element LOW when I turn the LED off. - Right??

You can just do digitalRead of that pin to see if you previously set it high.

If not, I could set up an array of 8 integers and and send the appropriate array element HIGH when I turn the LED on, and send that element LOW when I turn the LED off. - Right??

The way I see it, you have the logic backwards. What you want to do is set the nth array element to HIGH or LOW, and then set the nth pin state to the value in the nth array element. That way, they are always in sync.