How to auto stop a motor

Hi, I have a small project to create a shooting target carrier system which will take a paper target down an indoor range on strings either 5 or 10 meters depending on where the pellet catcher has been placed. We currently have a system where you press a switch to send the carrier on its way and it stops automatically when it arrives at the pellet catcher. String is placed around a pulley on the motor and the paper target is connected to the string. I'd like to refurbish these machines and possibly use Arduino connected to a motor but my question here is: how to stop the motor automatically when the carrier reaches the pellet catcher? Is there an electronic component that detects overload on the motor (i.e. the carrier doesn't want to go any further so would start to stall the motor).
Thank you for your help.

Run the motor for the amount of time required to go 11m. If there is a mechanical stop at 5m then it stops there. The motor will get a little warmer when it is stopped like this but only for a few seconds.

It's not like joe redneck can lean on the button for 5 minutes and overheat it. With the Arduino you can ensure that the motor is not in that stalled condition for an excessive amount of time.

Don’t do it that way - use a limit switch at the position you want to stop the motor . Don’t think it needs an Arduino fit that . The motor can be made to stop quicker by shorting it’s windings when it’s not powered.

PaulGuillou:
Hi, I have a small project to create a shooting target carrier system which will take a paper target down an indoor range on strings either 5 or 10 meters depending on where the pellet catcher has been placed. We currently have a system where you press a switch to send the carrier on its way and it stops automatically when it arrives at the pellet catcher. String is placed around a pulley on the motor and the paper target is connected to the string. I'd like to refurbish these machines and possibly use Arduino connected to a motor but my question here is: how to stop the motor automatically when the carrier reaches the pellet catcher? Is there an electronic component that detects overload on the motor (i.e. the carrier doesn't want to go any further so would start to stall the motor).
Thank you for your help.

What makes the motor stop now in your existing system? Use the same scheme/device!

Paul

I have been able to control an automobile headlight motor with an Arduino and relays by using a Hall effect current sensor board ( 20A) to detect when the headlight hits the fully open or fully closed position. Of course this is a 12V DC automotive motor.

In the past, I built a very rough CNC router, and used Radio Shack push buttons as limit switches. Unfortunately, I used normally open switches, and I destroyed several switches with the motor breaking the switch before the Arduino could stop the stepper motor. If you decide to use something like that, I would recommend a normally closed switch which would give you more time to stop the motor after detecting the switch press before crushing the switch.

Regards,

George Clay