How to boot load ATSAMD21

Hello,

I recently created an atsamd21 breakout board. I ordered the boards and have assembled them. Also, I have broken out SWDIO and SWCLK and RESET in order to load the boot loader.

However, I don't have a solid understanding of how this works. If I have an Atmel ice, what is the procedure. Is there any tutorial you know of?

Also, because the atsamd21 pins are multiplexed, where do I set the sercoms? Finally, what software and files do I need to boot load the board so that it will work with the Arduino IDE?

I would really appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

nathancrane243:
However, I don't have a solid understanding of how this works. If I have an Atmel ice, what is the procedure.

I don't own an Atmel ICE, so I could be off a bit, but I'm guessing it goes something like:

• If you don't have it installed already, install Arduino SAMD Boards via the Arduino IDE's Tools > Board > Boards Manager
  • Connect the ICE to your board.
  • Power your board.
  • (In the Arduino IDE) Tools > Board > select the appropriate SAMD board
  • Tools > Programmer > Atmel ICE
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader

nathancrane243:
Also, because the atsamd21 pins are multiplexed, where do I set the sercoms?

The whole point of multiplexing is you are able to have some choice in where you set them. If you're using the Arduino SAMD Boards platform, the standard pin configurations will be set automatically.

nathancrane243:
Finally, what software and files do I need to boot load the board so that it will work with the Arduino IDE?

They are included with Arduino SAMD Boards. If you want just the bootloader files, they are here:

the Arduino bootloader listens on USB. that should be ok for you.

Thank you for your response.

If I want to change the sercom ports, what would I do? Can I somehow edit the boot loader files and use them with the Arduino IDE to boot load the board?

Do you know how?

Thank you!

One more question...

I was watching a Sean Hodgins video where he boot loads his atsamd21 board.

He used atmel studio with one file.

Are there pros or cons to using the Arduino IDE or Atmel Studio?

Also, If I needed to change the sercom ports, how would I edit the files for both the arduino IDE and atmel studio?

Thank you

you want the Arduino bootoader? why would you flash it with Atmel Studio?
bootlloader has nothing to do with SERCOMs