How to Burn Bootloader an ATMega328P Surface Mount IC

Hello,

A few colleagues and I are working on a project where we have a ATMega328P surface mount IC with a SIM808 chip. We need to burn the bootloader onto the IC and then from there it is easy to program. We have a AVR Pocket Programmer that we would like to use with it as well. We have soldered wires from it straight to the SMD IC, but when I hit burn bootloader, it gives me an error. I have the AVR programmer's MOSI pin connected to pin 15 on the IC, MISO pin connected to pin 16, and the SCK pin connected to pin 17. Are these the correct pins?

What does the datasheet show for MISO, MOSI, SCK, Reset, Power, Gnd? You need them all connected for ISP programming (installing the bootloader).

Josephm3502:
I have the AVR programmer's MOSI pin connected to pin 15 on the IC, MISO pin connected to pin 16, and the SCK pin connected to pin 17. Are these the correct pins?

There are three surface mount versions of the ATMEGA328, so check the datasheet, it will give you the pinouts for the one you are using.

You also need to connect RESET, VCC and GND.

Have you connected a crystal to the XTAL pins, along with two 22pF capacitors. You may also need 100uF capacitors as close to the chip as possible, between VCC and GND and AVCC and GND. A 10kOhm resistor is needed on the reset pin, tied to ground.

What I've done recently is put a push button an the reset pin, to ground, in order to reset the chip.