How to burn the Bootloader using AVRISP

My Arduino Yun stopped responding to USB, and failed all attempts to burn a new boot loader using run-avrdude

I've just purchased an AVRISP mkII programmer - but its not clear how to set this up to Burn a new Boot Loader using the Arduino IDE

The Yun has a built-in ICSP programmer - the Linux processor. That makes it very easy to burn a new bootloader onto the AVR processor.

Make sure your Yun and computer are connected to the same network - wired Ethernet or WiFi makes no difference. In the Arduino IDE, select the Yun's network address on the Port menu, and then load any sketch not the Yun. When loading over the network, the sketch is sent to the Linx side of the Yun, where it is combined with the bootloader image, and then programmed into the AVR processor using the ICSP lines.

Each time you load a sketch over the network, it burns a fresh copy of the bootloader.

I tried that.... But, i can't upload over Ethernet or WiFi - I get the following error every time:

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

My USB appears to be knackered - The activity LED is held on after power on and Windows reports the USB device as not responding, and usually causes a Crash Dump to be created when powering down my PC.

So far, it looks like my Arduino is bricked!

Has anybody else experienced this ?

I'm not sure how this happened, I made a fairy insignificant code change to my project, redeployed, and then noticed the Serial Monitor was having problems connecting... After that, I've wasted hours trying to recover things.

As i said before.... I have got an AVRISP mkII programmer, but I've never had any luck in setting this up.... so I would really appreciate some help here...

RichardMorris:
So far, it looks like my Arduino is bricked!

It’s looking like that might be the case.

Just to be sure: you’ve unplugged any and all shields and I/O connections to the Yun before trying to upload a sketch over the network, right?

As i said before… I have got an AVRISP mkII programmer, but I’ve never had any luck in setting this up… so I would really appreciate some help here…

I’m sorry, but I can’t help you there. However, the programmer will be making the same connections as is done by the Linux processor. If the avrdude is having no luck programming the MCU using the ICSP connection, I’ll be surprised if your programmer has any better luck trying the same thing with the same connection.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you to get the programmer working. I’d like to be surprised and find out that it did indeed help.