how to choose a Bluetooth module

I'm looking for a BT module to use in a product. Does anyone have a suggestion for a module available from distributors like Mouser or Digikey?

It seems like BT LE is easier when it comes to creating a mobile app to control it. Any experience there?

All info welcome!

db2db:
It seems like BT LE is easier when it comes to creating a mobile app to control it. Any experience there?

It surely isn’t, but it will talk to IOS ,while a BT-2 module like the HC-05 will not.

Nick_Pyner:
It surely isn't, but it will talk to IOS ,while a BT-2 module like the HC-05 will not.

Well if the older ones won't talk to iOS at all, then I definitely need to look at LE.

Any suggestions for an LE module?

TinySine HM-10. I guess the scene is changing all the time but it is the only one I know of that is a direct replacement for the plain vanilla HC-0x, and the price is right too.

You ought also check what IOS apps are available for use with it. That scene is probably changing too, but it may be a bigger problem.

When you say plain vanilla, is that rare? I just want to send some basic serial data to it, and have that come out of the module.

Am I missing anything?

No.