How to clone the Uno Atmega328PU chip.

I have a genuine Uno which I've just replaced the Atmega328PU chip on.

I now have it programmed with GRBL and have GRBL's settings just how I want them.

Is it possible to clone the Atmega328PU on the Uno to a blank Atmega328PU chip so I have 2 the same?

If so, what's the easiest way to do it?

Just wondered because I'd like to have a spare which I can just plug in if needed.

Thanks.

Stuart.

avrdude is capable of transferring a complete image. You will not be able to use the bootloader.

Will it do the fuse settings also? Those are often overlooked.

CrossRoads: Will it do the fuse settings also?

You know it does. ;)

Those are often overlooked.

Good of you to mention it. If this were my project I would have overlooked the fuses.

@Coding Badly.

Whats the bootloader got to do with it. I want a clone of the chip thats in my UNO.

That means an exact copy of the chip. If it's an exact copy then it would work the same as the one in there now.

What I want to know is, if it's possible to clone the chip, and the easiest way to do it.

StuartB:
Whats the bootloader got to do with it.

Optiboot does not support reading / writing to EEMEM nor does it support reading / writing fuses.

What I want to know is, if it’s possible to clone the chip, and the easiest way to do it.

Connect a programmer to the source processor. Fiddle with avrdude. If you cannot figure out how to read then save the image report back for help.

Ok Coding Badly. Thanks. Will have a go.

Bear in mind, there is a high probability someone else has already tried to do what you are trying to do... https://www.google.com/search?q=duplicate+avr