How to communicate with your board without cables?

This is a newbie question so I hope you can bear with me. I phrased the question as I did because I am not necessarily looking for a WiFi solution.

I have built a robot and of course uploading a program via the USB cable is somewhat tedious. Furthermore I would like to communicate with my bot when it runs, supplying it with new commands and so. I was looking for something like two USB dongles that communicate wirelessly with each other but solutions I have seen so far are either USB-bluetooth or USB-WiFi solutions.

I have looked at XBee of course but I simply don’t understand the principles it. The example describes to Arduino boards communicating via XBee, but I just want my computer communicate with my Arduino. For uploading as well as communicating “in flight”.

I would be grateful for a link to any solution. Thanks very much in adavance.

Regards, Rnold.

The example describes to Arduino boards communicating via XBee, but I just want my computer communicate with my Arduino.

You can use a USB Explorer on the PC end, with XBee, and communicate with the XBee on the Arduino on the bot.

For uploading as well as communicating "in flight".

How are you expecting that the radio is going to push the reset button?

I missed that combination. I'll get it right away. Thanks a Lot!

I am not expecting to push the reset button but it would be nice if I simply could use Serial.read/write to communicate with the bot.

but it would be nice if I simply could use Serial.read/write to communicate with the bot.

You can. But, you need to do more than that if you want to upload new code to the board. That's when you need to press the reset switch.

Well, even windows has a soft reset :-) Anyhow, I'll start experimenting, thanks for your advice!