How to connect a PC USB plug to Arduino Nano

All,

The case and layout of my nano will not allow the ability to access the small USB port on the NANO for programming. I figured I could solder a USB connector to my PC board and wire it to the NANO--somehow. That way i'm free to put the NANO deep inside the case but can locate the USB connector through the case.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Kris

Sure. Get a USB extension and plug it into the board and put the other end wherever you'd like.

Thanks, and I thought of that, but i was hoping for a more elegant solution.

I'm not sure how you could make it any more "elegant". Maybe put some frilly lace around it or something I guess. It's simple and requires no solder connections to worry about. Sometimes "elegance" is the enemy of good design.

If you're up to the soldering, desolder the Nano USB port and solder a USB cable with the Nano end cut off right to the pads the port connected to. Be sure to add a strain relief.

GoForSmoke, thanks for the idea, I’ll look into it. I guess the short answer the ICSP or any other pins can’t be used. Bummer…

Thanks again.

KrisKasprzak:
GoForSmoke, thanks for the idea, I'll look into it. I guess the short answer the ICSP or any other pins can't be used. Bummer...

Thanks again.

No they can't. The USB connects to an entirely different chip on that board. The 328 doesn't handle USB. There's another microcontroller on there to handle the USB stuff and its pins aren't broken out.

Not sure if it helps, but do a search for 'usb panel mount'. Not sure if the nano has a micro or mini connector but you can finetune the search with that :wink:

Use a Promini and mount an FTDI Basic so you plug the USB into it, then wire the FTDI Basic to the header for it on the Promini.
Or get a USB extension cable.
Or FT232 cable to the Promini
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBTTLSerial.htm

Or the 5V version of the panel mounts at the top of this page to the Promini
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Modules/USBRSxxx.htm

KrisKasprzak:
GoForSmoke, thanks for the idea, I'll look into it. I guess the short answer the ICSP or any other pins can't be used. Bummer...

Thanks again.

The AVR pins 0 and 1 connect to a USB chip on the Nano. That port is just a plug-in with 4 connections to the board, those holes are the best spots to solder a direct connect. You can get an FTDI cable instead, it has a USB chip.

Could you mod the enclosure?