How to Connect Arduini Uno to your Com for upload?

Hello fellow programmers!

I have bought the arduino beginners pack, and i have no previous experiance with programming... So I would really appriciate the help of this community.

Now to the point!

I have installed the IDE for my computer, and I can write code without any complications. But as I try to upload my scetch for the arduino, i recive an error message.

I have concluded, that the error occurs, beacuse i dont have a port connected. I followed many youtube videos for biginners, and the guide in the book as well...

Here is the tricky part!

When i open device manager, there are no file named ports (com & LPT) nor is there any file name unknown(devices)

Are ports something you have to download manually? Please help this frustrated beginner!

I thank you in advance for your help.

What OS, what IDE, what is the marking on the chip near the USB connector, and does the cable have all 4 lines connected, or is just Power & Gnd?

also did u connect it via the usb cable and by the way ports are physical they are hardware . you can open tools then port in the ide and then set the port there

CrossRoads: What OS, what IDE, what is the marking on the chip near the USB connector, and does the cable have all 4 lines connected, or is just Power & Gnd?

I am using the windows 7 program, with a Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M, 2.5 GHz. and the IDE is ofcourse the windows installer. My arduino only lights op green in power. There is just a single usb cable connected from the Arduino to the computer? and it followed in the case of the Arduino starter pack.

manav_sethi: also did u connect it via the usb cable and by the way ports are physical they are hardware . you can open tools then port in the ide and then set the port there [/quote

manav_sethi: also did u connect it via the usb cable and by the way ports are physical they are hardware . you can open tools then port in the ide and then set the port there

Yes, i connected the board to the computer before installing the IDE. But I have tried to connect the port via tools in the IDE. And although I can see the funktion port under tools, i cannot click nor connect to it.

So that is in essens my problem with the setup! :/ I cannot set the port under tools, and that is why I thought that it possibly could be due to the lack of software installation. Because the hardware did not function without the software part.

But then again, I am a completly newb, and need all the help and guidence i can get! :D

There are two different MICRO USB cables make sure yours is also DATA and not just a charging lead.

Also make sure you have the board defs updated in the IDE.

TOOLS BOARDS BOARD MANAGER Select UPDATABLE Update any that are listed.