So, I'm building an 8x8x8 single color led cube, and I messed up and bent all 512 LEDs without looking up my controller chips first. The way I bent them, each tower will be an anode, and each level is the cathode.
Cathode control is simple enough, I'll use either FQP30N06L or IRLZ44N controlled by either a 74hc595 or directly by Arduino, depending on how many free pins I have. Is there a preference for either of these mosfets?
Anode control is where I messed up... 74hc595 can only source like 8.75mA, and TPIC6B595 can only sink current. Currently the only options I see are: 74hc595 and PNP transistors (2n3906), or TLC5940.
- easier to control brightness with Bit Angle Modulation
- slightly cheaper than TLC5940
- 128 resistors (64 current limiting, 64 transistor base resistors)
- lots of soldering, larger on perf board
- All in one solution, less soldering
- only 4 resistors required (1 per chip)
- I've read that multiplexing is harder with the TLC5940
Which would you guys recommend I go with? Or is there another (reasonably cheap) option?