How to control a arduino uno via a social network site?

I want an led connected to my arduino to light up when i update my facebook status or when i tweet something. How can i do that??

How can i do that??

With a lot of work (that other people have already done). What have you tried? What connection exists between the Arduino and the twit server? The facebork server? How is the Arduino to know that you have twitted or faceborked?

PaulS:

How can i do that??

With a lot of work (that other people have already done). What have you tried? What connection exists between the Arduino and the twit server? The facebork server? How is the Arduino to know that you have twitted or faceborked?

I heard about this ISS notify lamp(open source project by Nathan Bergey ...mechanicalintegrator.com/2011/iss-notify/? ) which glows when the space station is overhead. I built a lamp..connected it to a arduino but then i found out the notify app which is to be installed on the pc and does the job of scraping data about iss off the internet is only for Gnome I looked for the windows version but i couldn't find any that works. So i have decided to make my own. Here's what i have done. I went to Nasa's website and turns out NASA actually offers an email notification service(for free) 12 hours before an upcoming space station overflight. I used IFTTT.com and made a Gmail trigger. Whenever I receive an email (notification)from SpotTheStation@hq.nasa.gov, it atomatically teewts the date and time of the received email (SpotTheStation@hq.nasa.gov) using my twitter account(updates my status in case of facebook) . Now what i want to do is create an app which will read the date and time off my tweet(or my facebook status) and give instructions to my arduino uno (When to light the lamp.) As i have never done such programming. I need help. What programming language should i use?? Where to start?? Links of similar projects..please give anything that helps.. If you have any other simpler way of doing what i am trying to do then please suggest.

There are any number of ways that this could be done. If you want an application on the PC monitoring your facebork or twit status, you could use Processing to create the application (or a variety of other languages).

Or, you could have the Arduino wear an ethernet shield, acting as a client, and periodically check with facebork or tweeter to see if it should do anything.

Or, the Arduino wearing an ethernet shield, acting as a server, could possibly be called by the IFTTT.com site, to perform some action.

A lot depends on what hardware you have, or want to acquire, and what programming skills you have, or want to acquire.