How to control CD motors? After adding AA batteries the motors just start!

Hi there,
I´ve successfully connected my motors to my arduino for my first project: a tiny remote controlled car.
This is what I´ve set in order to test it (I´m using the adafruit motorshield. I´ve already bought it, so I rather use that instead of a Mosfet H-bridge):

#include <AFMotor.h>
AF_DCMotor motor(1);
int pos = 0;    // variable to store the motor position 
int SwichState=0; //estado inicial del swich

void setup() {
  pinMode(43,INPUT); //tomamos data del botón
  pinMode(45,OUTPUT); //preparamos la luz para encenderla al activar el motor
}
void loop() {
SwichState=digitalRead(43);
if(SwichState== HIGH){
motor.setSpeed(35000);
motor.run(FORWARD);
digitalWrite(45,HIGH);
}else {
digitalWrite(45,LOW);
motor.setSpeed(10);
motor.run(BACKWARD);
}
}

I want to start the motors when I push the button, and stop them when I release it. As I don´t know how to actually stop the DC motors, I´ve managed to set both of them in very slowly speed in order to test the whole process.

The thing is that as the arduino doesn´t have sufficient power, I need to add to the motors some batteries. As my project is a little DIY car, it already comes with three AA batteries.

My problem is that when I add the batteries (and even when the arduino isn´t connected!), the motors start at maximun speed. And even if I try to connect the arduino, it won´t matter: the motors won´t speed down.

How may I add the batteries? I just connected them to each motor as the car instructions told me.

Thanks for your insight!
Rosamunda

The power from the batteries should be going to the motor shield and not the motors directly.

My problem is that when I add the batteries (and even when the arduino isn´t connected!), the motors start at maximun speed.

Show us a diagram how things are connected to the shield.

Thanks for your help!!
I´ve uploaded an image with the schematics of the connection.
I´ve put now the + and - of the batteries into arduino now (and just won´t work either).
Thanks again for your help!

1st remove the batteries from the breadboard! (Looks like you have them connect to +5V, don't do this)

Connect the motor supply to the PWR_EXT block on the shield. Do not place the jumper on the shield.
EDIT: SEE PAGE 21, +battery goes to JP2-1 -battery goes to JP2-2

Read this section in the PDF file: DC motors are used for all sort of robotic projects. The motor shield can drive up to 4 DC motors bi-directionally. That means they can be driven forwards and backwards. The speed can also be varied at
0.5% increments using the high-quality built in PWM. This means the speed is very smooth and won't vary!
. . . 'backward', so if you want to change which way it thinks is forward, simply swap the two wires from the motor to the shield.

EDIT:
OR
Pages 26, 27 and 28. of http://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-motor-shield.pdf

Thanks for your help Larry!
I´ve read the guide, and modified a few things:

I´ve put the - cable into EXT_PWR (GND), and the + cable into EXT_PWR +M.
I´ve added the second motor.
Then, I´ve then changed the code a bit so I can have two motors in use.

This is the code that I´m using to test (I´ve pasted at the bottom). Hope everything gets smoother now :slight_smile:
Again, Thanks for your kind help!!
Rosamunda

#include <AFMotor.h>
AF_DCMotor motor1(1);
AF_DCMotor motor2(2);
int SwichState=0; //estado inicial del switch

void setup() {
  pinMode(31,INPUT); //tomamos data del botón
  pinMode(51,OUTPUT); //preparamos la luz para encenderla al activar el motor
}
void loop() {
SwichState=digitalRead(31);