How to control induction stove?

Hi, @Frede
If you are aiming to control heat levels then you will have a very hard time to do it, each of these induction rings is a complete feedback and safety system.
They each have a microcontroller and possibly multiplexed inputs and outputs.

Basically you want to "Hack" an induction hot top, can I suggest you Google.

hacking inductive cookers

It is not at this point will an Arduino do it, its can it be done.
You need to consult the people who now about the control systems of induction cookers.

Tom... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:
PS. I have repaired some of these units but have no understanding of the intricacies of controlling them.

1 Like

Okay, Thank you for the info!

@Paul_B I guess it gives a little current and gives more every step you increase your temp/mode. If I understand you correctly I think that you mean it turns on for a period of time and then turns off for a period of time. That is how my other electric stove works like.

You're alive!?

All jokes aside, if you know that mains power can kill you, then work with mains power. If you learned that mains power can kill you just now, don't work with mains power. It's that simple.

Safety tips for mains power:

1. Flip off the breaker or better yet unplug the stove before working.
  2. Work with one hand. Electricity always tries to go to ground so if you're leaning on the metal body of the stove and you touch a live wire with your free hand, the power will go through your heart and possibly kill you.
  3. Discharge capacitors because they can store >400V. Use a large resistor to discharge it if you can because shorting large caps can kill them.
  4. If you do get shocked by the mains power, don't freak out. If it was deadly then you wouldn't have had time to be surprised.
  5. For some weird reason, BLACK is the HOT wire (the one you don't want to touch) and WHITE is the NEUTRAL wire (the same one). GREEN is a GROUND wire and it's also safe to touch.

I disagree. Knowing it doesn't automatically imply knowing how to do it safely. So all kinds of unsafe designs and activities can fall under the rubric of "I did this to prevent that", where "this" is misinformed.

Modifications mean the risk doesn't end when the device is reassembled and the cover goes back on. A sustained risk exists because the modifications may not be safe.

It's not enough to just take precautions while you are tinkering.

No, it absolutely doesn't. The assumption is that if someone knows that mains can kill them, they also know why/how.

So.. If it is so unsafe.. Should I build my own rather then disassembly one? doesn't feel safer but maybe is.

Edit: I can't write anymore, I need to wait an hour to write more.

Either way it's still going to have to be plugged into the wall.

EDIT - How hot do you need the inside to get?

1 Like

The whole idea is bad, unless you are a qualified electronics technician or engineer. Actually, even then it's a bad idea... :slight_smile:

1 Like

@IceChes What do you mean with "How hot do you need the inside to get?"?

@Frede Like, how hot do you need the oven to heat up to? How big do you need the inside to be? Do you already have the stove? What is the end goal?

@IceChes Oven? I don't use an oven more like a pancake style induction cooker. So it doesn't need to be big inside, It has to be around 2 to 3kw or at least I think. I want to build a pot that can be heated from the side without touching with induction.. I want to be able to control the induction with Arduino or something like that

You didn't answer the main question. Actually you only answered 2/4.

I hope you will get satisfied with this.
1: It is not an oven.
2: It is not an oven so it doesn't need to be big inside.
3: No, I don't have the stove.
4: I want to build a pot that can be heated from the side without touching with induction.. I want to be able to control the induction with Arduino or something like that

@aarg

I can see that you're never going to tell us what this thing is for...

The basic idea of my project:
A pot which is heated from the side with a induction stove. The pot is spinning so the contents in the pot will get mixed around. Then it will get into a bowl of some sort for serving.

SATISFIED?

Thank you for your partial explanation. It's better than nothing. Please don't play with dangerous devices that you don't understand fully, so you don't injure or kill yourself or the loved ones around you.

Hi,
quote="Frede, post:36, topic:926603"]
The pot is spinning so the contents in the pot will get mixed around.
[/quote]

Not sure what your energy transmission efficiency will be with a possibly larger than normal gap between coil and pot surface, also the surface will not be flat or parallel to the coil.
Just spinning the pot will not mix, you need an object in the pot to help swirl the contents.
(Look at a cement mixer.)

With a "normal" induction cooker the entire base of the pot is the heater, and heat convection of the contents helps the contents to circulate.

You might be better to stay "normal" and fit a stirrer to the pot.

Tom.... :smiley: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

Hi,
I was thinking the inside of the pot would be something like the picture below.

If I use the "Normal" induction cooker with some type of stirrer how should it then tip out the contents into a bowl?

That actually sounds apropos.

You could have the induction plate more-or-less against the base of the pot, slanted at a 30 to 45° angle with the pot resting on rollers.