How to control mechanical lever using arduino?

Hi all,

First of all, i'm new to arduino. For my major project for automating a car, I need to impliment a few features to be read and write to the car via arduino. Leave the rest,

Main thing 1. I need to initiate the car break when an obstacle is detected infront of the car

Updates: 1.I bought Ultrasonic sensors and coded to detect the distance of obstruction infront of it

What i want to know: How can i mechanically engage the break using an output from arduino? Actuators?pneumatic sensors? i dont know what hardware to use to convert digital signal to engage a mechanical system

First, please tell me this is an RC type car and not a 2 ton vehicle in the driveway…

I suspect you mean "brake" - and that worries me greatly.

...R

Damn - Robin2, you beat me to it...

I need to initiate the car break when an obstacle is detected in front of the car

I was going to say 'Do nothing" - on every level of meaning.

This is a scary scenario... I hope it is for a toy RC car!

sravansunilt: \

What i want to know: How can i mechanically engage the break using an output from arduino? Actuators?pneumatic sensors? i dont know what hardware to use to convert digital signal to engage a mechanical system

Those will all work. Get one of each. Good luck.

tinman13kup: First, please tell me this is an RC type car and not a 2 ton vehicle in the driveway......

Unfortunately , It is a 2 ton vehicle. Crash Mitigation system or applying the brakes when a collission is detected. I have already at the end stage of the mechanical system that i will hook with the brake pedal in a chevy aveo. What the current scenario is regarding what will be acting as a mediator to connect the system to engage. Simply what mechanical system will engage the lever when a digital/analogue from arduino is generated?

Robin2: I suspect you mean "brake" - and that worries me greatly.

...R

It worries me too. Because i need a higher force to pull the brake pedal down which is controlled via an arduino. is there any servo which is powerful enough to pull a mechanical system down to brake ??

sravansunilt:
Unfortunately , It is a 2 ton vehicle.

I am not prepared to help with that. The risk of someone being killed or injured is too high.

…R

A self-driving car is your first Arduino project? I wonder if that's how Google made their self driving Lexi.

@sravansunilt

Hi, I got a thread that might be of interest. Please share you thoughts

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=427715.0

Sid

Robin2:
I am not prepared to help with that. The risk of someone being killed or injured is too high.

…R

No.l

ChrisTenone:
A self-driving car is your first Arduino project? I wonder if that’s how Google made their self driving Lexi.

Actually the car is fully manual as stock. Only thing i’m adding is an extra system which will break automatically if the driver fails too. And i’m currently on its first stage and only applying it on a test car in a test track only.

sid1202:
@sravansunilt

Thanks for the info, lemme check on that guy for more details

Hi, I got a thread that might be of interest. Please share you thoughts

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=427715.0

Sid

Please don't cross-post

Duplicate removed.

AWOL: Please don't cross-post

Duplicate removed.

sorry my mistake.

How do you plan to keep what you add to the car from interfering with the driver's normal operation of the car? I hope you are planning to drive when you test the system!

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: How do you plan to keep what you add to the car from interfering with the driver's normal operation of the car? I hope you are planning to drive when you test the system!

Paul

I'll explain in short.

There is an ultrasonic sensor fitted infront of the car and arduino analyses with respect to my algorithm and if there is an object infront of it, a digital/analogue signal is given to an actuator(THIS IS MY QUESTION,WHAT ACTUATOR COULD GIVE ME THAT MUCH FORCE AND CONTROLLABLE VIA ARDUINO OUTPUT) and the break applies automatically even if the driver fail to do the same. so these systems wont interfere with the driver. And also i'm not testing this in real world now. Just the initial stage i'm testing it on tracks

Perhaps you didn't understand my question. How are you going to attach anything to the brake peddle that will not be in the way of normal operation?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: Perhaps you didn't understand my question. How are you going to attach anything to the brake peddle that will not be in the way of normal operation?

Paul

That would depend on the car. In many cases it's actually pretty easy. On some car's, specially small imports where real estate is at a premium, it can be difficult.

Basically you keep the actuator detached from the pedal and the actuator only comes in contact with the pedal when activated. This was done several times (crudely but effectively) on mythbusters.

Sid

Which ultrasonic sensor are you using that will give you reliable measurement at a distance far enough to activate the BRAKING system without having to lock up all four wheels? Is this only going to be used to detect an obstacle that is also moving in the same direction as the test vehicle, but a little slower? Or do you also want to use it for a fixed, stationary obstacle such as a brick wall or utility pole?
My ex has a Cadillac that has a feature which allows the car to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front and activates brakes or throttle, and will brake to a full stop should the car in front stop. I do not believe her car uses an ultrasonic system, but something like radar since the follow distance can be several hundred feet.

Cheap hobby grade ultrasonic sensors for the Arduino do not have the range or fidelity for an actual car's usage. Please do this project only if you put only yourself at risk. And get it on video.

Due_unto: Which ultrasonic sensor are you using that will give you reliable measurement at a distance far enough to activate the BRAKING system without having to lock up all four wheels? Is this only going to be used to detect an obstacle that is also moving in the same direction as the test vehicle, but a little slower? Or do you also want to use it for a fixed, stationary obstacle such as a brick wall or utility pole? My ex has a Cadillac that has a feature which allows the car to maintain a set distance from the vehicle in front and activates brakes or throttle, and will brake to a full stop should the car in front stop. I do not believe her car uses an ultrasonic system, but something like radar since the follow distance can be several hundred feet.

The OP already mentioned the car is a Chevy Avio. If you Google the car and "brakes", you will find the car has standard hydraulic braking with vacuum power assist. The car is famous for having a multitude of braking problems.

If the OP wants to emergency brake only once, then an airbag cartridge in a cylinder with a piston attached to a brake pedal might be small enough and powerful enough to stop the car, but only only one time. Anything else gets pretty complicated.

Paul