How to control motors with higher power requrments than 35V 3A 50W

Hi
Sorry if this question has been asked before.
I have used "L298N DC Stepper Motor Driver Module Dual H Bridge Control" in earlier Line Following robot projects. I'm having trouble finding a controller that works like L298N driver for higher power required motors. In L298N driver we give digital high, low signals to change motor directions and PWM vales to control motor speed.
I need help finding a motor controller 48V 1000W DC motor that works like a L298N driver. I found this on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-6V-90V-15A-DC-Motor-Speed-Control-PWM-Controller-12V-24V-36V-48V-1000W-B20-/251704192366?hash=item3a9abd2d6e:g:T44AAOSwosFUWEJM

Is this the right type of driver for my application. ??????
Not sure how to give direction change commands and where to input PWM values.

Please help........

If you are driving a stepper motor then use a specialized stepper motor driver rather than an L298 which is really intended for DC motors. See Stepper Motor Basics

My guess (and it is no more than that) is that the driver in your link is intended to be controlled with a potentiometer rather than an Arduino.

Have a look at the Pololu website for a selection of DC motor and stepper motor drivers that work with an Arduino. Other suppliers will have similar devices.

...R

@ Robin2
Yes I'm planing to use two brushed DC motors which is rated 48V and 150 amps continuous. It is for a Line Following robot that can pull a load of 150KG behind it (Towing Vehicles).

Are these motors a good choice for my application?????

if so the motor controller for them. ????????

To give you better assistance we need to know, if speed matters or not.
If not, you could use gears, buying torque/force on the expense of speed, thus reducing the size of motor and power supply.

nipzMegaMind:
Yes I'm planing to use two brushed DC motors which is rated 48V and 150 amps continuous.

Then why have you posted a link to a driver with a 15 amp capability?

The driver should really be capable of handling the stall current for a motor.

...R

No speed don't matter. Speed around 50 RPM is OK.

I'm sorry if I'm asking the same thing over and over. I'm still doing my design. So the power of the motor could change. The load that needed to be carried is 150Kg. that wont change.

For that I need large motors with high torque and motor controllers that can be controlled through Arduino.

Is it possible, Or am I asking too much from the Arduino................

The Arduino is just the controller which drives the motor.

If you need more power at the outputs of the Arduino - and this is how each controller works - you need "power boosters". In the old days this was realized with relays, then with bipolar transistors, sometimes cascaded (darlington principle), today in most of the times with very powerful MOSFets.

So:

Is it possible, Or am I asking too much from the Arduino

the answer is simply YES.

OK then I will look into how to use mosfets.

one more question, sorry for asking the same thing :confused:

Is there a motor controller like "L298" that can handle more power ( Voltage and Current)
around 48V and 150 amps.............

IF so please send me a link

Thank you

nipzMegaMind:
IF so please send me a link

Try Google

...R

Somehow I lost the focus on this:

1. First post: searching for: 48V 1000W DC instead of up to 90V / 15A
  2. Last post: 48 V with 150A -> 150A * 48V = 7200W ... ???

What is your skill level in electronics, motors and mechanics?
Pls tell us exactly what the actual requirements are. Are those 150kg the force which the robot has to deliver and has this value been measured, estimated or calculated, in other words: is that reasonable or a safety value?

And why can't you go with 90V? (Battery ?)

nipzMegaMind:
No speed don't matter. Speed around 50 RPM is OK.

I'm sorry if I'm asking the same thing over and over. I'm still doing my design. So the power of the motor could change. The load that needed to be carried is 150Kg. that wont change.

For that I need large motors with high torque and motor controllers that can be controlled through Arduino.

Is it possible, Or am I asking too much from the Arduino................

"high torque" is not a number. Torque is calculable and numbers are needed. What speed
do you want the thing to move up what gradient on what terrain? That will define the power
which is the first thing to get a handle on.