How to convert from Breadboard to Perfboard?

Hey guys,
I've made a LED memory game on my breadboard (Arduino UNO) and now i want to solder it on my perfboard. Due to my lack of kndowledge i wanted to ask you guys how to do it. Anyone got an idea? Feel free to make suggestions. I hope someone can help me because I'm really struggling.

My project is based off a tutorial: Arduino LED Memory Game lesson #10 - YouTube

See these links:

Also these boards from Amazon are great to use too.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1609

After drawing a good schematic, I pull parts off the breadboard and place them on the perf board. I move the parts around till I get a fit.

Not perfboard, but these boards have the same layout as a breadboard, so it's pretty easy to transfer the circuit over.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292319384009

I like the perfboards that have the 3 or 4 holes connected together and the power and ground around the periphery.

I do not like the every hole is a separate copper clad point. They seem too crammed together and can be difficult to solder without a short. This statement will gather many replies from folks who love this type of board. So to each his/her own :slight_smile:

I also print out a large pattern of the board I use and layout the parts with pencil. If you have a graphics program, ever better.

1 Like

I dont see the point of the " every hole is a separate copper clad point", I mostly use the ones @ShermanP mentions, or veroboard.

Nice with the bus strips there between the ICs (as it were).

Try to not touch the copper strips with bare hands (like on the picture). Soon you will have an oxidized finger print on your board. And that will not make soldering easier.

The best thing I've found to clean these boards is very fine steel wool. it brightens up the copper nicely. But you have to wash the board after using steel wool because steel wool seems to have some kind of lubricant added to it that you'll need to wash off. But after that, solder will flow very nicely.

Always use liquid flux to aid soldering.

These are gold plated:

Ah! Luxury board!

I prefer to clean the boards with green scotchbrite. No metal particles to worry about.

Then wash in running hot water and any dish soap.

1 Like

I use a fibreglass pen to clean leads and boards. Also an eraser with a slit cut in it to clean resistor/ capacitor legs.
G