How to copy and paste contents of serial monitor?

I am using Windows. I highlighted portion of the serial monitor but right clicking does not allow me to copy the content. How do I copy the contents of the serial monitor?

Use Ctrl-C to copy the highlighted text to the clipboard.

It works for me, unless the text on the screen is whizzing past then I can't highlight. But it's fine with static text.

Ctrl + A to select all.

Or you can uncheck Autoscroll and select undisturbed.

Ctrl+C is not copying anything. Ctrl+A is selecting all though.

haristadena:
Ctrl+C is not copying anything.

Wrong.

Ctrl+C copies the highlighted portion of the serial monitor.

"Whandall.... Wrong. Ctrl+C copies the highlighted portion of the serial monitor."

Answers like this can turn these forums into a cesspool. I know this is an old topic, but I'd like to point out...

YOU are wrong, not haristadena. It turned out to be a known issue that Ctrl-C sometimes doesn't copy jack from the serial monitor. Yet instead of admitting that you didn't know what was going on, you just declared him wrong.

It turned out to be a known issue that Ctrl-C sometimes doesn't copy jack from the serial monitor.

Where is this reported/documented ?

I had the same problem. It looks like there's a limit to how much you can copy. Try copying it in chunks. That worked for me.

Will

I don't know how much data you tried to copy from the Serial monitor, but I just wrote 500,000 characters to it then copy/pasted them to an editor, which is enough for me

why not dump the data into a file instead of the monitor ?

just to sum up.

hit the button to stop scrolling first - this is important. Ctrl A selects all text Ctrl C copies

move to your text editor and

Ctrl V to paste

get an SD shield or module that has a proper level converter IC, (not just resistors) and then you have a way to save things for days.