How to create a quite simple flooding alarm

Hello,
Very new here and in Arduino things, but quite good in DIY things, I’m asking how easy it could be to create a flooding alarm for my house.

I have a pump to flush used water from the house, and I would like to add an alarm to tell me when the pump is not working and the water level is too high.

This system exists and can be bought for 200€. The level sensor itself is around 30 to 50€, and the rest is a little box with an alarm.

My question was, buying a sensor and an Arduino simple kit, would be it easy to create it by myselft ?

The specification are :

Use the existing flooding sensor (it is a switch basically, supporting 230V / 10A) and setup a box, with buzzer and light, working on 230V (and mybe on a backup battery if the power is of). Probably a test button to check the alarm working, and a power ON light.

Thanks for your advices.
Vince

Try this flooding site:https://forum.arduino.cc

Less complexity means more reliability.

Try a float switch, battery and buzzer and/or lamp.

If the battery’s no good, you can use a low voltage power supply (away from water!), or a battery+charger if you want it to work during a blackout.

No need for a controller in the simplest case.

Starting off points:

2016-03-27_11-14-43.png

This:

lastchancename: a float switch, battery and buzzer...

...saved us from a messy cleanup a few weeks ago when our sewer backed up.

vinceangel: Hello, Very new here and in Arduino things, but quite good in DIY things, I'm asking how easy it could be to create a flooding alarm for my house.

I have a pump to flush used water from the house, and I would like to add an alarm to tell me when the pump is not working and the water level is too high.

This system exists and can be bought for 200€. The level sensor itself is around 30 to 50€, and the rest is a little box with an alarm.

My question was, buying a sensor and an Arduino simple kit, would be it easy to create it by myselft ?

The specification are :

Use the existing flooding sensor (it is a switch basically, supporting 230V / 10A) and setup a box, with buzzer and light, working on 230V (and mybe on a backup battery if the power is of). Probably a test button to check the alarm working, and a power ON light.

Thanks for your advices. Vince

Use an old smoke alarm. Plenty of modification youtube how to out there.

Old alarm may well be too old for safety in case of a fire but will still work ok for years as a flood water sensor.

You could make a cloths pin trip wire setup using a wooden cloths pin and two thumb tacks with wires attached. Put the thumb tacks inside the cloths pin jaws such that when released, the thumb tacks touch making a circuit. Instead of using something to be pulled out from between the thumb tacks, use something that dissolves in water, like an aspirin tablet or sugar cube. Connect the wires to a simple alarm, like a window alarm from the DollarTree store. When the water dissolves the material between the thumb tacks, the jaws will close, touching the thumb tacks together and triggering the alarm.

That would solve the OP’s headache.

... or just use the solid sugar cube to restrain the spring or float mechanism. When it dissolves, no more holding back !

Hi,

Thanks for your help, this can be a starting point. For the sensor, I prefer to use a "real" one, done for this and will last years and years without any maintenance.

My question was mainly about having a battery and wire power supply, and if using this kind if 230V/10A sensor would be a problem with a low voltage thing to manage the alarm.

I'm just a bit afraid of the complexity of re-learning electronic, this was a long time ago, and the amount of time and work to spend on this compared to just bying the alarm.

I think you may be overcomplicating the solution…

Let’s stand back.

You have a sensor/switch - what’s it currently connected to ? Or is it just ‘rated’ at 230V/10A ?

• Putting 230V anywhere near water is not a good idea in most cases
  • A box power-LED, alarm buzzer and light are easy enough in an afternoon.
  • Consider 12V parts for safety and ease of construction.
  • A test button merely bypasses whatever sensor you have in place - suggested a float switch for simplicity.
  • A moisture ‘sensor’ will probably need some voltage/signal conditioning to drive the light & buzzer, but not add much to the project other than cost and a loss of simplicity/reliability.
  • A backup/battery is a good idea, which reinforces the 12V suggestion. Simply put a float charger in , and run the whole alarm project from the battery - no 230V mains in sight after the charger.

The sensor I was thinking about is the same the pump have, something like this : https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00P8ZSDZQ?tag=pompe_relevage-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&keywords=interrupteur%20flotteur

The alarm and electronic will be in the house, 20m away from the sensor (sensor can have a long wire, not a big deal)

The goal is something like this https://www.amazon.fr/Alarme-Station-Relevage-Calpeda-AL9V/dp/B00DJ7OGD8

This is not a flooding device when there is too muche rain, but more an alarm to be alarmed when the pump is dead or off, and the level of water going to high.

So, the sensor just connect the buzzer, this is nothing more complex than that as a starting point, then I would like to improve it with test button to ensure buzzer is still working (simulate the sensor action), and a LED to notify system is ON, probably a main swith to switch ON/OFF the whole alarm system when I'm working on it for example.

So now you’re on the same page. Pump is on-or-off, and/or water rises, alarm goes ’on’until reset, or water falls.

Not so hard is it.

Hi guys,

So... even if this project appears to be quite simple, I think I'll choose to by the alarm. To be realistic, doing it by myself will take weeks, months probably (I'm always working on 2 or 3 things at the same time) and if I want to be sure it's gonna work...

I could have it done for 100 to 150€, for 200€ I got one on the market so let's choose the simple way this time.

Anyway, thanks for your help, maybe see you on the next project/idea !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umkw15FETno

Thanks but I want something reliable, not an adaptation.

It is very interesting how many solution can be found, but I cannot do every idea I have.

get your Arduino. get a cell phone charger to use to power the Arduino take two nails and hammer into a board less than 3mm apart. connect wires to them. one wire goes to the 5V pin of your Arduino the other wire goes to A0, an analog pin.

read the value of A0 and if it is over 500, sound the alarm.

you can put your Arduino into an ALTOIDS tin to make it look cool.

play with that and see how it works. put some water on a plate, put the nails into the water put some water into a glass, put the nails into the water once you are happy that it works, you can add features.

you can put a light and a buzzer where you will see and hear it.

you can add a relay to turn on a pump, but that requires some engineering.

Once you can read there is water or there is no water, you have the first step taken care of.

"Thanks but I want something reliable, not an adaptation."

You probably made the right decision not to attempt a DIY solution. The prices you site seem high, but that might be just your local availability.

vinceangel: Thanks but I want something reliable, not an adaptation.

Smoke alarms are reliable devices from my experience.

Perhaps not so much the $5.00 units.

Then again I did say used units which are commonly around the $50.00 mark when new with mains and battery supply and very reliable, even after their mandatory 10 year lifespan.

As far as adaptation goes, pretty much everything is an adaptation.

"Smoke alarms are reliable devices from my experience."

Wire the level switch across the smoke alarm test button and you have both fire and flood alarm.