How to create simple web app to modify irrigation system remotely and log data?

UPDATE:

So I now have an Apache server set up running on a linux virtual machine, and I installed MariaDB database and PHP. Now I just need to figure out how to:

a) Properly configure the database for my needs

b) Develop a simple script and layout in PHP to add parameters to the database that will be read by arduino, and also display output parameters written to the database by arduino.

c) Set up the MKR1010 to connect to my server over wifi and to be able to read and write to the database

Anyone point me in the right direction? I have no experience with databases or PHP.

ORIGINAL POST:

I have a simple irrigation system for my garden controlled by an arduino mkr1010 wifi, that controls some solenoid valves that meter out water to different sections of my garden. Right now, it's just a static program but I would like to be able to modify the parameters of water output remotely via a web app over the internet. Ideally it could use weather data from the internet to automatically determine watering output/frequency. I would also like to be able to log the actual water usage and upload it to a database that I'd be able to view online, from wherever I am, and maybe send me alerts if something is wrong with the system.

I have basic programming knowledge in arduino and some python, but I've never done web development and I know nothing about which services I could use for this. I'm hoping to find something that's free.

I think the most basic iteration of this project is a web app with a simple front end that allows me to enter basic parameters of watering frequency and duration for each valve in my system. The arduino would then request those parameters on some regular interval, and if a change has been made, would redefine them in the program.

It would also regularly upload the actual daily water use information to a database, and that would be displayed on the web app.

I started messing with google app engine and firebase but got really confused really quickly. It was a lot to absorb.

Does anyone have some guidance for me? Just not exactly sure where to start.

If your wifi board uses an ESP 8266 or 32 chip, then there are lots of web use tutorials and projects if you do a google search.

UPDATE:

So I now have an Apache server setup running on a linux virtual machine, and I installed MariaDB database and PHP. Now I just need to figure out how to:

a) Properly configure the database for my needs

b) Develop a simple script and layout in PHP to add parameters to the database that will be read by arduino, and also display output parameters written to the database by arduino.

c) Set up the MKR1010 to connect to my server over wifi and to be able to read and write to the database

Anyone point me in the right direction? I have no experience with databases or PHP.