How to Detach Servo Motor and Potentiometer separately

Hello. I am working on a project in which I need to detach the servo motor while still being able to read the servos position with the servo.read function. Is there a way to detach the servo motor and built in potentiometer separately? Or is there something else I can do to achieve this? I would really appreciate help on this as I am currently stuck. Thanks!

The servo.read() function does not read the position of the servo internal pot. The servo.read() function returns the value that was last sent to the servo.

groundFungus:
The servo.read() function does not read the position of the servo internal pot. The servo.read() function returns the value that was last sent to the servo.

Is there a way to find the current position of the servo?

You can buy servos with the pot output broken out. Adafruit sells some. You would read the pot with analogRead(), though. With a regular unmodified servo, there is no way to measure the position of the servo without adding a feedback mechanism (pot, rotary encoder,...)

Edit: a search of the net will yield instrctions on how to modify a servo to break out the pot signal. Be careful how the servo is powered. The output voltage of the pot will be, at max, the servo supply voltage. If that voltage is more than the Vcc of the Arduino, the Arduino can be damaged.

Answered in your other almost identical post. I'm getting to really hate people multi-posting the same question.

Steve

Hi,
Why do you need to detach your servo?

Tom... :slight_smile: