how to detect the shape of an object using lasers

does anyone know how to detect the SHAPE of an object using lasers?

any link to a pgm?

will Laser Receiver Transmitter Sensor Module help with a KY008?

or a combination with SR04 Ultra sonic?

thanks

sunil v

I have seen lasers used with multiple cameras to do 3d modeling but that is pretty well outside the realm of the arduino.

What is it that you are trying to do?

It is well within the capabilities of an UNO. Places like Banggood and GearBest sell 'Ciclop DIY 3D Scanner Open Source Desktop Basic 3D Scanner Kit For 3D Printer' which uses a lowres camera, two low power Red dot LASER pointers, and an Arduino UNO to render 3d scans of small objects. Less than 150 USD for a assemble yourself kit...

SunilV: does anyone know how to detect the SHAPE of an object using lasers?

One method that would work for opaque convex objects is to scan the laser across the object and see where the light gets blocked. Put the object on a stepper-motor turntable and get silhouettes at many angles. Put the silhouettes together into a convex shell. You could use servos to do the scanning. How big an object were you thinking of?

In my world, there’s a difference between “measuring” and “detecting”.

The first is what you describe: just measure a lot of points, and store the xyz coordinates of them.

The second is a step further: is that shape a cup, a plant, a roll of toilet paper, or a pair of glasses?

wvmarle: In my world, there's a difference between "measuring" and "detecting". The first is what you describe: just measure a lot of points, and store the xyz coordinates of them. The second is a step further: is that shape a cup, a plant, a roll of toilet paper, or a pair of glasses?

I think of it the other way around: 1: "Detecting": Is there a shape? 2: "Measuring": What are the coordinates of the shape? 3: "Identifying": What kind of object is it? I was just guessing that that OP wanted to do some kind of 3D digitization.

123Splat: It is well within the capabilities of an UNO. Places like Banggood and GearBest sell 'Ciclop DIY 3D Scanner Open Source Desktop Basic 3D Scanner Kit For 3D Printer' which uses a lowres camera, two low power Red dot LASER pointers, and an Arduino UNO to render 3d scans of small objects. Less than 150 USD for a assemble yourself kit...

I could be wrong. I often am. But my understanding of that scanner is that is uses the arduino to drive the stepper motor. Something that IS within the capabiliities of an arduino. But the 3D rendering is done on a PC, outside of the arduino.

thank you ALL for your valuable replies. i am surprised at the few solutions suggested which infact some suggestions i need to read more on them and understand and apply. i threw the query to an engineer friend of mine of using ultra sonic initially, who came up with this suggestion.

i quote " use lasers instead of Ultra sonic You can then not only recognize the shape but the distance as well. I have developed a software that can do that in conjuction with a cad system and I use it for Road design. I believe it is the same that does driverless cars and facial recognition in iPhone X. I have already used it in my projects in xxxxxxxxx,

Let me have a data set the robot receives from the object. Perhaps with the recent advancements the intel and AMD seems to have made in CPUs, GPUs and the connectivity using NVMe and PCIe etc we should be able to handle the processing of data in real time which is what the robots are all about. ""

i tend NOT to use a CAMERA - the function of SEEing. i need to simulate a 'blind' person. so to speak, and use an indirect method to recognise an object, e.g. to diffentiate between a box and a ball, not involving any sophistication to recognise a face. thanks again.

Use the inexpensive Lidar Lite and point cloud rendering software to produce 3D images, like this.

scan.png

thx jremington - too expensive! i dont think its achieveable with stuff i hope to use. anyway i shall post if i do get something going using cheap stuff. cheap things no good - good things no cheap.

too expensive!

$130 is too much for a high quality Lidar? You must really be fantasizing!

when u spend items on arduino its just $1-10. the most 19.99 ha ha!

yes for a guy who is on pension its a big chunk.

i am too old for fantasizing! i wish i could.