How to display with 2.8" TFT LCD Touch Shield For Arduino on ChipKIT Uno32?

Hi, everybody!

Recently, I have purchased 2.8" TFT LCD Touch Shield in my home country so I can have a external display shield for my ChipKIT Uno32.

What I have understood, then this display shield should work fine on my ChipKIT Uno32 when the operation voltage set is put to 3.3V according to instructions I have found on Internet (and it does work actually). Then the display shield displays a completely white screen when I run up the whole thing, which is good in the beginning.

The problem I am encountering is that I am not sure about how I can display things on the display shield in general. I want for instance display something like the string "Hello, World!" on it so I can figure out how I can get simple things displayed on that display shield. I maybe want, for example, display a number matrix in near future when I have learned to use this display shield much better.

Does it has to be some specific IDE in order to access the pins for displaying things or is it okay with writing C codes in simple text editors such as Notepad++? I would like to prefer not to work with MPIDE, since I want to work with low level details of the programming.

And another thing: are there any limiations about the support of this display shield for the library on the ChipKIT Uno32 I have to be aware of when I am programming on this display shield?

All responses to my issues will be heavily appreciated. You can also link some useful tutorials that would be helpful for me to understand its functionalities. I hope that I can develop a bigger project on my ChipKIT Uno32 by the help of this display shield.

Thank you to all in advance!

/lokomotiv

The UTFT libraries support chipkit, but no promises regarding the particular model of display you have.

UTFT available here :- http://www.rinkydinkelectronics.com/library.php

Regards,

Graham

ghlawrence2000: The UTFT libraries support chipkit, but no promises regarding the particular model of display you have.

UTFT available here :- http://www.rinkydinkelectronics.com/library.php

Regards,

Graham

Hi! Thank you for your reply :)

Do you have any experiences of working with 2.8" TFT LCD Touch Shield for Arduino? If so, would you please help me understanding about how I shall display different things on this display shield. Is there some special kind of IDE required in order to work with the display shield? And, as I earlier mentioned, I would like not to work with MPIDE, since I want to access the low level details of the hardware programming (time register, interrupts etc.).

Thank you in advance!

/lokomotiv

First, you need to figure out the display driver ic (ILI9325, ILI9327, ILI9488 etc), download the relevant datasheet, then after many long and sleepless nights, you might figure it out. Much easier to use a ready written library, at least to see how they did it.

It is all about writing bytes to registers. Not too difficult in theory but there are LOTS of permutations.

Once you have successfully initialised the display, the first thing to do would be figure out how to write a single pixel in a specific colour, after that, lines are just rows of pixels, text is just a specific group of pixels etc.

You have not said much about your background or experience level, but this would be quite an ambitious project if you want to do anything useful in a short time scale!

Regards,

Graham

First off, please post a link to the actual display that you are using. Or even a make and model number. Or even the text that is printed on the pcb.

Yes, there are many libraries. Only UTFT supports chipkit as far as I know. All the same, it should be possible to adapt any library to use the chipkit hardware efficiently.

Otherwise, digitalWrite() and friends should work with any board and any processor. Just a bit slow.

UTFT is the easiest of all the libraries to "add" a new display, controller or "mcu".

Don't be proud. Find an existing library and use it. The source code is always available. So you can re-write your own code after you have seen how an existing library works.

David.

ghlawrence2000: First, you need to figure out the display driver ic (ILI9325, ILI9327, ILI9488 etc), download the relevant datasheet, then after many long and sleepless nights, you might figure it out. Much easier to use a ready written library, at least to see how they did it.

It is all about writing bytes to registers. Not too difficult in theory but there are LOTS of permutations.

Once you have successfully initialised the display, the first thing to do would be figure out how to write a single pixel in a specific colour, after that, lines are just rows of pixels, text is just a specific group of pixels etc.

You have not said much about your background or experience level, but this would be quite an ambitious project if you want to do anything useful in a short time scale!

Regards,

Graham

I have recently worked with ChipKIT Basic I/O, which is the beginning for me to program with ChipKIT Uno32. I have experimented with both ChipKIT Uno32 and ChipKIT Basic I/0 shield together since two months back. Now I want to work with a different shield to the ChipKIT Uno32 in order to display a matrix of integers on the 2.8" TFT LCD Touch Shield for Arduino.

But I may have understodd about what you are saying: it's all about accessing the display pins on that display shield in order to display the things I want to be displayed (kind of like a ChipKIT Basic I/O), am I right? Correct me if I am wrong.

However, I have still not gotten the whole picture about the code writing itself. Am I forced to use a specific kind of IDE in order to write C codes that will be executed for the display shield or is it enough with a simple text editor, in which I write my C codes? How do I upload written C codes to ChipKIT Uno32 in order to be accessible for the display shield?

I have not worked with heavy things when it comes to the hardware programming in general, so I am therefore a newbie when it comes to this :/ Hope that you and others here will have patiency with me. I only want a good introduction in working with the display shield on my ChipKIT Uno32.

Thanks for answer in advance!

/lokomotiv