how to do half duplex communication?

hi, it is clearly stated above that i would like to know if any one have he experience working with half duplex communication using xbee.... i reaaaallllllyyyyyy need help here.... :'(

thanks

Half duplex is the only form of communication with an xbee. You send it something and listen for it’s reply. That’s it.

i reaaaallllllyyyyyy need help here.

As Grumpy_Mike pointed out, full duplex communication is the more challenging issue with XBees. Half duplex is the usual way of communicating. Like using this forum. You post. We reply. You ask for clarification or additional information. We reply at some time in the future, or not, as we can.

So, using XBees for wireless communication generally consists of several steps. Acquire 2 or more XBees. Acquire 2 or more shields or breakout boards. Configure the XBees to communicate with each other. Send data to one Arduino with XBee shield or breakout board with XBee. That board or Arduino sends the data to the XBee which broadcasts it. Receive data at the other XBee, which puts it in the serial port which the Arduino or breakout board reads and processes.

What part(s) of this are you having trouble with? I can help with any but the first 2.

full duplex communication is the more challenging issue with XBees.

It's challenging to the extent of being not possible.

anyone know how to set xbee, if only one xbee is used as the sender and receiver??? help me please...

If you only have one what is it going to talk to or listen to?

I'm making a detection system from object texture (coarse, fine or medium) .. so xbee send signals to a surface and then receive reflection signals. I hope, the voltage reflections signal are different from each texture.

;)

A XBee is a radio. Sure, it can send a signal to the fabric, but you then need some sort of receiver to receive a reply. The XBee by itself can not do what you think you are going to do.

there are other wireless transceiver that can work like I want??? please help me...this is my task... :'(

so xbee send signals to a surface and then receive reflection signals.

That is an impossible task. What idiot set you that.

I hope, the voltage reflections signal are different from each texture.

No the strength of the received signal will be dependant on the surface reflectivity and the distance to the surface. A radio wave will pass straight through a fabric that is not metallic. What you are describing is a form of radar. You will not be able to generate enough power output in order to receive a reflected signal. Also I assume that the reflecting surface is going to be close by, that is under a mile away. The flight time of an electromagnetic wave is too fast to turn round a transmitter into a receiver at short distances. There are lots of other reasons why it will not work but that's enough to be going on with.

Ultrasonic range finder sounds like what the OP is trying to do. See: http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=283 or several similar places. (Google is your friend, or Bing, even)

Ultrasonic range finder sounds like what the OP is trying to do.

Yes but it not a range he is after it is the difference between the texture of the materials in front of the sensor. You can't tell that from a range finder.

Sorry, Mike. You’re absolutely right. I only partially read the requirements (story of my life, I develop software in “real” life).

so, do you have other idea 4 my task..??

thanks b4...

You haven't exactly specified you task very well. Should it be remote sensing? If so what distance? What materials are you trying to detect? What parameters about the material are you trying to differentiate?

Remember this is the real world not Star Trek

Have your sensor drag a probe along the surface and measure how loud the sound is?

Use a phototransistor to measure the amount of light reflected from LEDs positioned at varying angles?

Thanks grumpy n steve....

now,,I want to know about the RSSI of xbee...do you know how to use the RSSI and see the signal level.... thax b4...I need your help...