How To Drive Multiple Toy/Hobby Motors Using Only Arduino Power Supply

Hi

I am making a simple Project in which I have to drive multiple toy or hobby motor using only arrduino power supply which is 5V or 3.3V ? 

Any clue I am also ready to use a Driver IC as I known that Arduino does not has a large current sourcing which is required for the intial torque for motor.

**Can I use UNL2003A** as a Driver IC

Your question is not very clear. Please post a diagram of what you are proposing, and post links to all the components you want to use. Read the forum guidelines to find out how to post pictures and links.

My initial answer would be that, yes, you must use driver ICs because the Arduino digital pins cannot power motors. But that does not solve your problem because the Arduino's 5V output cannot provide enough power for motors either. You need an external power supply for motors.

Bad idea. Motors draw too much current for the Arduino voltage regulator, and create electrical noise that can damage the Arduino. You should use a separate motor power supply and don't forget to connect the grounds.

I have a simple concept in my mind I dont have any ckt diagrams no code anything but how can I drive multiple by multiple I mean to say 4 Toy motors using a Arduino UNO

Define "drive" and "Toy motor"

You can drive them with appropriate Motor Driver(s) or MOSFETs or ESCs depending on what type of hobby motor they are, what exactly you need to control and whether the 4 motors need to be controlled independently or as a group.

Steve

Do not cross-post, cross-posting wastes time.
Topics merged.

riteshmudicha:
I have a simple concept in my mind I dont have any ckt diagrams no code anything but how can I drive multiple by multiple I mean to say 4 Toy motors using a Arduino UNO

do you have a pencil ? and paper ?
draw out what you are thinking.
when YOU say the 'Arduino power supply "
WE think the on-board voltage regulator.
you need to select a motor, check the data sheet or specifications and see how much power it can draw.
then check the power supply you want to drive it from. if the power supply cannot deliver that power, then you have to get a smaller motor or a larger power supply.
consider that a motor, smaller than a pencil eraser, will have a locked rotor amp draw of over 150 mA. PER MOTOR
I do not believe you can safely get your power from the Arduino on-board power regulator
you CAN get a nice 5 amp power supply, plug it into the wall and use that to power your motor, then use the Arduino to control the motor on/off, speed, etc.
tell us WHAT you want to power, what motors you have already used to drive that thing and we can show you how to control it.

think of the arduino as the driver of the truck
and the power supply as the motor.
a tiny input of the steering wheel or gas pedal and you can drive the truck across the country.
it seems like you are asking if you can add bicycle pedals and the driver of the truck also has to provide power to pedal it across the country.

Hi there,

In the attachment section I have attached the data sheet of my DC motor, Circuit Connnection **in PDF format** as well as the internal circuitry of the driver IC that I am using.

It is basically well known **ULN2003A**

There are various problems that I am facing while interfacing the motor with arduino first of all I like to clarify the things I am using the following components:

1. DC Motor
2. 9V Power Supply with 1A current.
3. Arduino 
4. ULN2003A

There is one doubt in my mind whether I should connect a current limiting resistor across the motor or any other electronic component ( Like Diode & Capacitor ).

If yes then why and what would be the recommended ratings of the resistor or capacitor

**Last doubt whether all the 4 Motors will run or not**

![ROB-09608.jpg|566x571](upload://eDH8IqUTV8aGbtR2mBuUDPn6Kcc.jpeg)

![uln2003a.jpg|315x336](upload://vu9UH9XV4fEaa13n33A3FxA25jb.jpeg)

[New Project.PDF|attachment](//cdck-file-uploads-europe1.s3.dualstack.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/arduino/original/3X/d/1/d14e35f1900e7f5aefb09ba21c4b1ff888c595ab.pdf) (17.7 KB)

U1 has no ground connection.

ground pin is there and it is connected to ground but hidden is the circuit right and will the motors work

@riteshmudicha, this seems to be the same project as in your other Thread and you have already been warned against cross-posting.

I am suggesting to the Moderator to merge this.

...R

Can someone please help me I have posted all the required documents in the attachment folders

riteshmudicha:
Can someone please help me I have posted all the required documents in the attachment folders

Can you answer all the questions in Reply #7

...R

So I have provided the circuit in below link, major change is that instead of 2N3050 Transistor Ia am using CL/SL/SK 100 transistor.

I am using this circuit to drive motor and it works but how can anyone explain.

Active low from arduino motor turns ON
Active high Motor OFF

Need explanation and yes the supply is 9V 1A.

Odd circuit.
Sure it will work, but it's odd.

Arduino signal switches Q6, which in turn switches Q5 - inverting the signal.

Signal high, Q5 conducts, pulling base of Q6 to GND, switching off Q6.
Signal low, Q5 blocks, base of Q6 is connected to 9V via R13 switching it on, and that switches the motor on.

You can also switch Q6 directly, I don't see the need of Q5.

Why is there that 12Ω R12 included?