How to find average colour of television

I am about to try and make a project that finds the average colour of a television to control some rgb leds.
the signal to the TV could be from any source, maybe even an internal one and so connecting to a video output isn't an option. (It probably wouldn't be easy anyway)

I was thinking maybe a small cheap camera or perhaps a colour sensor, I'm not sure which one will work best and so wanted someone else's opinion before I go buy anything.

Is this project feasible?

Thanks, Dan.

Maybe something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Color-Sensor-Color-Recognition-Module-TCS230-TCS3200-/190558321419?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5e293b0b to detect colours but it may not work in passive mode. A major problem would be reading the colour without interfering with the viewing of the picture. The above sensor would only detect colour in a small area and not the entire screen a camera could see the entire screen but is probably beyond the power of an Arduino to read and average the colour with any speed.

If, and it is a big if, you can find a camera with an RGB output you can have a simple RC filter to give you the average of each channel. Then you could read them into your arduino through the analogue inputs.

I seem to remember another Arduino ambilight project, but I suspect the colour detection was done elsewhere.

http://amblone.com/

Uses a PC to do the work.

If I understand you correctly, you have a TV set that could be getting its video signal from an internal tuner or from an external source. You wish to drive RGB LEDs to create an ambience, like some Philips TV sets.
Question: does your TV set have any kind of RGB output? Of course, things are changing fast in this digital era, but it is not inconceivable that you may have this. If so, your problem is almost solved.
David

Thanks for the suggestions, there is no output on the TV that can give me the picture regardless of source.
I suppose a colour sensor would be fine if it will work, positioning it where it won't get in the way should be easy enough anyone tried this before?
I have managed to dig up a camera with a composite video output, it's a long shot but is there any way to get an average colour from this?
Thanks.

I have managed to dig up a camera with a composite video output, it's a long shot but is there any way to get an average colour from this?

With an appropriate decoder (PAL/NTSC/SECAM/whatever), yes, this can be done.

AWOL:

With an appropriate decoder (PAL/NTSC/SECAM/whatever), yes, this can be done.

And where will I find a decoder that can do this (It should be PAL)?

Goglge is usually a good starting point.

Goglge is usually a good starting point.

And if that fails, there's always Google.