How to get 9V from arduino

Hello there,

I am working on a sound sensor project which will flash an led strip to the music. The led strip takes 9 volts or more, i'm pretty sure that less than 9V is not enough to light the lights, however I'm having trouble delivering 9 volts to the led from a breadboard since my R3 only has a 5V output.

Would using a transistor amplify the voltage? Or how can I go about powering a 9V led strip from my arduino?

Thx!!

Get a 9vdc wallwart use the Arduino to power the strip using a relay or transistor.
See Q3 or Q6 Q7 (replace motor cct. with strip)

Will the 5V relay I got from my arduino kit work for this? Is this the correct relay to use?

Don't know what relay you have.

?

rusnikita:
Hello there,

I am working on a sound sensor project which will flash an led strip to the music. The led strip takes 9 volts or more, i'm pretty sure that less than 9V is not enough to light the lights, however I'm having trouble delivering 9 volts to the led from a breadboard since my R3 only has a 5V output.

Would using a transistor amplify the voltage? Or how can I go about powering a 9V led strip from my arduino?

Thx!!

Firstly LED strips are normally designed for a fixed 12V supply - where did this 9V figure come from?

And yes you'd use a transistor to switch the power to the LED strip (from a suitable power supply, not
from the Arduino). Common the grounds. A relay is a poor solution here, they have a limited number
of operations and are noisy (they click).

Okay I've got a 12v wall power supply, is it possible to connect that to the breadboard with some device or connector?

Sounds like you have a 12V LED strip, single color? Which is usually 3 LEDs in series with a current limit resistor. Connect 12V to + of the strip, connect - of the strip to a transistor that Arduino can control.
Post a clear, closeup picture of the end of the strip and 3 to 6 LEDs so we can confirm.

This diagram shows more LEDs with the resistor, was part of a different discussion, but the concept is the same: 12V, 3 LEDs, resistor, transistor that Arduino controls to turn the strip on/off.
If the strip is longer, then each additional 3 LEDs are wired in parallel with the first 3 - you should be able to see wide + and - paths down the length of the strip.

First choice would be a transistor, but for on/off control, a relay is quite acceptable.
Your relay has 100,000 Operations loaded.

Confirm the LED strip will work on 12 volts.

Always confirm the polarity of power the supply before connecting it to your circuit.

I've got one of those cool!

So i've got my breadboard all setup now with a 12V input and I've grounded the led and 12V power into the arduino. Is it possible to control the input to the led through the wires I've grounded in the arduino?

CrossRoads:
Sounds like you have a 12V LED strip, single color? Which is usually 3 LEDs in series with a current limit resistor. Connect 12V to + of the strip, connect - of the strip to a transistor that Arduino can control.
Post a clear, closeup picture of the end of the strip and 3 to 6 LEDs so we can confirm.

This diagram shows more LEDs with the resistor, was part of a different discussion, but the concept is the same: 12V, 3 LEDs, resistor, transistor that Arduino controls to turn the strip on/off.
If the strip is longer, then each additional 3 LEDs are wired in parallel with the first 3 - you should be able to see wide + and - paths down the length of the strip.

My sound sensor has a signal output which gives a 1 if it hears a sound, if I get the program correct, what should my signal control? Should it control the input of the led's, or should it control the input of the resistor?

Got it working now, however I guess my $20 sound sensor kinda sucks and is very sensitive or maybe i'm just missing something