How to handle collisions for a flying robot - video

Came accross this one today, brilliant, imho

I like that a lot instead of solving a problem, make it "not a problem" excellent :)

That's a very similar algorithm to what we used as students in the 60s to walk home from the pub .

I love the way it just keeps banging into windows, just like a real insect.

Yes, very good.

It reminds me a bit of collision detection on Ethernet networks. Rather than avoiding collisions you just manage them.

I am also reminded of something I read a while back. Say the police are trying to manage two different problems:

• Able-bodied people parking in disabled car parks
  • Finding stolen vehicles or people driving without a license

Given that car thieves are likely to have little regard for the law, the police then stake-out cars parked illegally in disabled spots. When the driver returns he is arrested and turns out to be a car thief or other law-breaker. Effectively the driver has "self-selected" or "advertised" himself by his behaviour. You could regard the parking spot as a form of "honey pot".

Boffin1: That's a very similar algorithm to what we used as students in the 60s to walk home from the pub .

rofl you should have patented this algorithm Best regards Jantje

Brilliant :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Able-bodied people parking in disabled car parks

Thats one of my pet hates, the mentality that goes with it.

Like idiots that think if there is somebody sitting behind the wheel of a car parked across a shopping mall entrance, then the car is suddenly not an obstacle.

I love the way it just keeps banging into windows, just like a real insect.

I wonder if he tried it with a candle ?

Boffin1: I wonder if he tried it with a candle ?

I suspect it would deal with the candle effectively - but differently.

Boffin1: Like idiots that think if there is somebody sitting behind the wheel of a car parked across a shopping mall entrance, then the car is suddenly not an obstacle.

Or they double-park with the hazard-flashers on, as if that is a "I'm no longer doing something stupid" signal.

" I am a hazard, I am a hazard "

Nice job. Would like to see closeups of the robot without the ball frame.

[quote author=Nick Gammon link=topic=196439.msg1451788#msg1451788 date=1383369599] Or they double-park with the hazard-flashers on, as if that is a "I'm no longer doing something stupid" signal. [/quote]

Equally bad - they park with the hazard-flashers on, so that (because there is a car behind them) only the outside indicator can be seen and you think they are about to pull out at any moment.

Boffin1: " I am a hazard, I am a hazard "

That would be an entirely valid conclusion, as with people who drive with their headlights on in the daytime.