How to hook up a pushbutton to an LCD

Me and my partner are trying to create a choose your own story like game using an LCD screen, and we wanted to connect it to pushbuttons, which we would press to choose choice a, b, or c. We are using an Arduino Uno, and are not very practiced at code. We would greatly appreciate your help. This is the code we have so far:

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>
LiquidCrystal lcd(12, 11, 5, 4, 3, 2);

const int switchPin = 6;
int switchState = 0;
int prevSwitchState = 0;
int reply;

void setup() {
lcd.begin(16, 2);
pinMode(switchPin, INPUT)
lcd.print(“Helping”);
lcd.setCursor(0,1);
lcd.print(“Myself”);

}

void loop() {
switchState =

}

Thank you SO much! We have until Thursday to finish this, and would be very grateful for your assistance!

If your 1602 LCD is I2C you can use this visual tool

There is no support for non I2C display, but you can adjust the generated code to use LiquidCrystal instead of LiquidCrystal_I2C (it is on the top of vf_framework.h) since they both use the same interface. Don’t forget you need to setup your button so it doesn’t collide with any of the non-I2C pins. I would still suggest to get the I2C version of 1602 though since by asking such trivial question, I am not sure how far you can go with this or how much you can hack the generated code.
But you can totally design a game like this without writing a single line of code with the tool above.

Thank you. This might help somewhat, although what I was actually asking was how to code 3 buttons to select options (let's say, A,B,orC) appearing on the LCD.