how to know if a nrf24l01 is broken or not

hi to all, i'm here to ask just a question but i have to explain also the situation a bit: today i just received an order that contained 2 nrf24l01 2.4ghz module (maybe the plus version) so i try to set up the tutorial i found in the tmrh20 library but something went wrong

1. the two module just can't comunicate
  2. using one module at time i received different data

WHAT I'M CURRENTLY USING:

• an arduino uno
  • a mac with yosemite and 1.6.12 IDE
  • a ccduino (a clone)
  • jumper wires male to female to connect the 2.4ghz module to the arduinos

WHAT HAPPENED:

i run the get starting tutorial of the tmrh20 library exactly like it's said there: https://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo

first impact i noticed that a rf24 doesn't work on my ccduino because it stuck at "now sending" message and i thought it was due the arduino clone so i switched it to the arduino and it worked well (obviously saying that there was no response (timeout) from the other module and not receiving any data when changed to listen)

the other module instead was receiving random data when in listening mode and sending and receiving data when in transmitter mode (even if the other module was just powered off) and that happen both with the ccduino and the arduino with any sort of wire combination or pin connection, i also noticed that removing the miso jumper wire in the "working" module coaused the same random data flow

so i checked all the jumper wires and also the connection between the module pin and the module chip but everything looks good and made contact, the only thing i noticed was that there is a lack soldering in the "broken" module exactly at the chip pin linked to the most module pin (look at the photo it is yellowish instead of covered by tin)

the question is: could that influence the performances? i should contact the seller of my order and ask if they can replace it?

MATERIALS:

"broken" module photo

debug from the working module:

debug from the broken module(WITH SAME JUMPER WIRES AND ARDUINO):

The very simple examples in this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be useful for testing.

I don't know of any way to prove that a module is broken other than trying a good module in its place.

Your photo is not sufficiently well focused to see the problem you refer to.

...R

Robin2:
The very simple examples in this Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be useful for testing.

I don't know of any way to prove that a module is broken other than trying a good module in its place.

Your photo is not sufficiently well focused to see the problem you refer to.

...R

thanks for the tutorial, i will try also them but i think none will work, for "trying a good module in its place" i've posted the radio.printDetails() in the starting post, made with same wiring and same arduino shield, you can see that one just start receiving random information but also has a lot of 0x00 that other ppl have while using failed jumper wires, but that's not my case since with the same words the other module just print all its data correctly

sorry for he photo, it is really difficult to focus a macro with a phone, i'll try again

HERE is the new photo (ipod 5th is better than a galaxy s4mini) you can see the pin on then right that should be soldered to the chip line that connects to the most pin, but there is some issue

PKino:
but that's not my case since with the same words the other module just print all its data correctly

Is that output the result of data being received? Or is it just a conversation between the Arduino and the module. IMHO the successful sending of data is the only practical test.

you can see the pin on then right that should be soldered to the chip line that connects to the most pin,

Have you a very fine tip for your soldering iron?

...R

Robin2:
Is that output the result of data being received? Or is it just a conversation between the Arduino and the module. IMHO the successful sending of data is the only practical test.

Have you a very fine tip for your soldering iron?

...R

The data are a "void communication" of the 2.4ghz module, I just run a getting started call response sketch from rf24 examples on the two module from the same Arduino but I added the print details function, you can see that the broken just receive "something" instead the working is silent until I start transmitting but it fails to receive a response (in fact there wasn't a second receiver)

And no I dom't have nor the skill neither the solder to fix that :frowning: note that the working one starts behave like the broken if I remove the jumper wire from mosi (the one linked to the lacking solder in the broken one)

PKino:
note that the working one starts behave like the broken if I remove the jumper wire from mosi (the one linked to the lacking solder in the broken one)

That does sound like an effective diagnostic process.

...R