How to know the distance traveled by a car?

Hello
I have a project in which I want to read the distance traveled by a car. I saw an example where the ODBII port is connected but not if this will allow me to read the tachometer. The other point is that the ODBII port pins varies depending on the amount of the car model.

How can I do this?.

regards

As far as I know, the newer ODB-II is a standard. Before that, every brand made its own interface and own protocol.
There are a number of projects to connect Arduino to ODB-II, but I don't know which are good and working well. I would prefer a premade adapter, like this one: http://obd.arduinodev.com/
And Sparkfun has a large page about it: OBD II UART Hookup Guide - learn.sparkfun.com

rdv555:
I have a project in which I want to read the distance traveled by a car. I saw an example where the ODBII port is connected but not if this will allow me to read the tachometer.

What is it you are trying to measure, again? Because you have just stated two different things, here; one of which may be available via ODB-2, and the other which likely isn't (except for maybe later incarnations of ODB-2; I do think it is available on ODB-3)...

So - which is it? Distance, or RPM?