How to load an Arduino with a Quasi-duino boot loader for a Sonic Screwdriver

So I'm completely new to arduinos and I really don't have much electronic background, but I'm doing a project for my boyfriend for his birthday because he completely loves Doctor Who. I'm running into problems with the sound circuit, aka all of the arduino. The instructions are here Working Sonic Screwdriver : 10 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables in step 7, but basically what it says is to install the Quasi-duino boot loader to the Arduino. I wish I could say I've made some progress, but quite frankly I don't even know where to begin :wink: the instructions for that are posted here The $9 Quasi-duino (Almost-duino) : 6 Steps - Instructables, but as I said I really haven't made much progress on that and I've been working on that step alone for a few days. Any advice or help (or even what I need or where to start?!) would be GREATLY appreciated!!

"I haven't made much progress" doesn't help us help you to make progress.

What exactly is the problem? Where are you stuck? Do you have the breadboard and the ATmega328p? How far have you gone?

How far did you get into the Quasi-duino instructions before something went wrong?

If you have a second Arduino UNO with a socketed processor you can use that instead of the breadboard for burning a bootloader. See: "Minimal Circuit (Eliminating the External Clock)" in http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard

I’m stuck on connecting all the wires basically. Where it says to connect MISO, MOST, and SCK to D11, D12, and D11, I’m a little confused. I’m assuming that the D11 and D12 he’s talking about is on the arduino digital side, but how would you attach two wires to D11? Solder the wires together? Sorry if this a totally basic question, still learning!

Please don’t post the same question mulitple times. It just wastes time.

cassandra007:
I'm stuck on connecting all the wires basically. Where it says to connect MISO, MOST, and SCK to D11, D12, and D11, I'm a little confused. I'm assuming that the D11 and D12 he's talking about is on the arduino digital side, but how would you attach two wires to D11? Solder the wires together? Sorry if this a totally basic question, still learning!

That's MISO (Master In/Slave Out), MOSI (Master Out/Slave In), and SCK (Serial Clock).

MOSI: Arduino Pin: D11, Logical pin: PB3, Physical pin on ATmega328p-PU: 17
MISO: Arduino Pin: D12, Logical pin: PB4, Physical pin on ATmega328p-PU: 18
SCK: Arduino Pin: D13, Logical pin: PB5, Physical pin on ATmega328p-PU: 19

Thanks! I think that should hopefully clear things up enough for me to be able to actually keep making progress on this!

Okay, I did make a bit of progress, but now I'm kind of stuck on uploading the quasi-duino as a board. It keeps not showing up and I'm not sure why. I have the program that he says to download in my hardware file but still nothing. Any thoughts?

cassandra007:
Okay, I did make a bit of progress, but now I'm kind of stuck on uploading the quasi-duino as a board. It keeps not showing up and I'm not sure why. I have the program that he says to download in my hardware file but still nothing. Any thoughts?

If you add anything to the 'hardware' or 'libraries' folders you have to re-start the IDE for the changes to take effect.

I did that too :confused: I was told to copy part the board.txt in a text editor and paste it in another board.txt but I'm not sure what other board.txt they're referring to and I haven't heard back from them

And I finally got that all figured out and now when I finally try to burn the bootload it keeps saying system can not find specified file

Does it say which file? If not, turn on verbose upload logging in Preferences.