How to make a hardware 24 h delay?

I'm about to make a reminder system for medicine. The idea is to have a small lightsource attached to a bottle of medicine, and if the bottle hasn't been moved for 12 hours, the light should start to blink.

Easy enough to code into a ATtiny, for example, but I'm not as sure about the possibilities of a pure hardware solution. Is it possible to connect a tilt sensor to something that would handle the delay, and then a 555 timer and a capacitor to produce the blinking light? Would it even be possible to set the delay time with a small switch?

Why not use an Arduino or similar for the project.
Bottle covers a led/sensor.

unsigned long medicineDelay = 246060*1000UL;
See a blink without delay example.

If the tablets are to be taken twice a day can I suggest you make the alarm delay something like 14 hours otherwise the alarm will trip exactly 12 hours after the clock starts and that might not be convenient.

Your concept is novel but it's not fool-proof. If the bottle should be moved for any reason after the clock starts running the condition will be satisfied. I would therefore suggest the alarm monitoring function starts running at T=0 hours but doesn't "arm" until say T=10hours and then triggers at T=14 hours if the bottle hasn't been moved.

No need to use a 555 timer, the blinking can be implemented in software.

Yes, like I wrote: writing the code is not the problem and not really at all what I was asking for. I very well know how to do that. My question was and is: does anyone know of a HARDWARE BASED method of achieving this?
The code is already written and works perfectly, but my issue is both cost and space. So I was looking for input int the HARDWARE possibilities.

Anyone?

A 555 timer cannot produce a 12 hour delay on its own, (or with any degree of accuracy ) addditional counter chips are needed, so a small micro is the easier option.

The same applies to most other simple timebases as they all rely on the chaging /discharging of a capacitor which means to give anything like reasonable timings; can only run up to a few minutes, and then the need for those extra counter chips.

ricky101:
A 555 timer cannot produce a 12 hour delay on its own, (or with any degree of accuracy ) addditional counter chips are needed, so a small micro is the easier option.

That's what I thought, yes. I wasn't thinking of using a 555 either, only for the blinking light. But I wonder if there's some other cheap, small and effective IC that can be used?

jackrae:
I would therefore suggest the alarm monitoring function starts running at T=0 hours but doesn't "arm" until say T=10hours and then triggers at T=14 hours if the bottle hasn't been moved.

That is a beautiful idea! Thanks!

Surely a 8 pin micro, eg ATtiny is the simplest Hardware you can get ..? - thats why they have taken over from 'discreet' ttl / true hardware and some of the more obscure timer chips that tried to bridge the gap before micros.

Look into an oscillator and a clock divider IC like
http://www.ti.com/product/SN74LS294

There used to be ones like the 5369 for 32KHz clock crystals, but they seem to be obsolete - unlike the 555. 8^)

The CD4060/74HC4060 can be configured as a long term timer.

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. RTC is definitely a good alternative, but maybe a little overkill for what Im trying to do. And maybe an SMD ATTiny is the best option after all. Then all I need to do is learn how to SM ...