How to make a large air gap capacitor

Used in a Marconi spark gap transmitter

Condenser Plates, Marconi Towers
Electric charge for the transmitter spark was stored in a very large condenser (modern name: capacitor). It consisted of 288 sixty foot by twenty foot metal sheets that were suspended from the rafters of the transmitter building and extended down almost to ground level. These sheets filled most of the building, which consequently was called the "condenser building".

Assuming a six inch gap between plates, someone else calculated the total capacitance to be 1.86 uF.

That bright light used to be a mouse that got between the plates!

Paul

I imagine that the unit was "self cleaning", with 100kV to MV between the plates.

Thanks for sharing JR, fascinating.

Did anyone calculate the force between the plates?

Ask Luke.

And the other building was the engine room, I presume. :grinning:

@jremington where did the image go?

Tom.. :o

Hi, Tom:

Not sure what you mean by “go” but the image is hosted at Marconi's Cape Breton Radio Stations where there is more information on the entire setup.

2x5kV steam powered generators and a 12 kV, 500 kWh backup battery bank, for example!

jremington:
Hi, Tom:

Not sure what you mean by "go" but the image is hosted at Marconi's Cape Breton Radio Stations where there is more information on the entire setup.

2x5kV steam powered generators and a 12 kV, 500 kWh backup battery bank, for example!

The image in your original post, is an empty window to me, Win 10, Chrome.
Tom... :slight_smile:

Try another browser. Firefox shows the image.

Hmm weird that.

Good roost for pigeons....

TomGeorge:
Good roost for pigeons....

Splat! :astonished: