How to make a link active?

I posted a response with a link to a youtube video but the link is not active. A couple of posts before there is one which is active (light blue color).

I think there may be a problem displaying Youtube videos on the new Forum.

The normal way to make a word into a link is like this [urr=http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=24.0]myLink[/urr] but replace urr with url.

It should look like this myLink

...R

Thanks.

Noticed a lot of posts that have links (like links to products not only youtube links) but they are not active ( new and improved Forum).

The old forum use to automatically detect URLs and made them active links. The forum also automatically embedded the youtube videos if the proper url was used. I never really saw any issue with this setup. The real problem probably originates with the fact that in the past the forum administrators admitted they never read or used the forum.

zoomkat: The old forum used to automatically detect URLs and made them active links.

So you cannot just past the link in, you have to (well, you can insert the full code manually but) use the "Link" icon - the (cute) little piece of chain - to put them in. It will first ask you for the link and then for the link text (defaulting to whatever you might have highlighted beforehand).

And it sometimes mangles the link text or mark-up when you do that ... I haven't quite figured that out.

I imagine you know by now that you have to permit ajax.googleapis.com in NoScript to make all this JavaScript hocus-pocus work - which is why the forum gurus have such difficulty figuring out when things do not work - it is a pre-defined "toolkit".

I find it much easier to use the Reply button (rather than quick-reply) and to select the "view source" option - the right-most button on the bottom line.

That way I can see exactly what is going on and the line spacing shows properly.

...R

Robin2:
I find it much easier to use the Reply button (rather than quick-reply)

Puzzling. Sometimes it simply “points” you to the “quick-reply”, sometimes it goes to the reply-on-top mode with full editing.

And I think it has something to do with when you “quote”.

OK that's another thing that has bugged me and that is inserting just a part of a reply and showing who that reply is from.

So I select the part of the reply I want hit ctrl C then paste it between the 2 quote brackets like this

I find it much easier to use the Reply button

But it doesn't imbed the poster info.

If I go to the reply I want and select Quote it selects the whole reply. Like this.

zoomkat: The old forum use to automatically detect URLs and made them active links. The forum also automatically embedded the youtube videos if the proper url was used. I never really saw any issue with this setup. The real problem probably originates with the fact that in the past the forum administrators admitted they never read or used the forum.

I just go in and delete what I don't want to show but there has to be an easier way that I'm not seeing.

justone: Noticed a lot of posts that have links (like links to products not only youtube links) but they are not active ( new and improved Forum).

There are a lot of changes in the new and improved Forum.

in the new and improved Forum

:o

Robin2: I think there may be a problem displaying Youtube videos on the new Forum.

The normal way to make a word into a link is like this [urr=http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=24.0]myLink[/urr] but replace urr with url.

As a shortcut, if you do not care for a custom link text you can use the format:

[url]http://arduino.cc[/url]

which produces this: http://arduino.cc. If you quote the post you may see its inserted the '=address' for you.

justone: So I select the part of the reply I want hit ctrl C then paste it between the 2 quote brackets like this {from today, it doesn't quote quotes either!} But it doesn't embed the poster info.

It never did. It can't.

What you selected using control-C was the text and never anything but the text. Depending on all sorts of things, control-C/X/V may work with one or more of plain text, marked-up text (with bold, italic and so on) or an image, but not the context meta-data (because only the server actually sees it as meta-data).

The "Quote" function at the bottom right is a different function which deliberately includes the "meta-data".

I was asking how to actually just select a small portion of a reply (meta-data mumbo jumbo included) so as it can show who the quote is from. When I select "Quote it selects the "Whole" reply.

The "Quote" function at the bottom right

On my system it appears at the upper right when in reply mode.

justone: When I select "Quote it selects the "Whole" reply.

Then just edit it down to the parts you want.

I find it much easier to do this after selecting view-source.

...R

justone:
When I select "Quote it selects the “Whole” reply.

Then just remove (or as I have done add) text as required

Rob

Robin2: Then just edit it down to the parts you want.

I find it much easier to do this after selecting view-source.

...R

Graynomad:

Rob

Ahhh--- Graynomad a sneaky way to hide a reply(so it can't be RED in a reply).

Well this is what I came to think how it worked when I replied in #7 (well now the reply #'s are no longer there so had to do some counting but this is just the first page so now you have to document before you reply if you are going to reference a reply #).

So there is no shortcut then.

justone: I just go in and delete what I don't want to show but there has to be an easier way that I'm not seeing.

Ha, that's the "no quotes inside quotes" bug that was mentioned elsewhere.

Rob

justone: . . . (well now the reply #'s are no longer there so had to do some counting but this is just the first page so now you have to document before you reply if you are going to reference a reply #).

I was going to say: The reply numbers are still there, way over on the right in light gray. They just are no longer labeled as such.

Now as I write this I see what you are referring to - they don't show up in the "Topic Summary" below the "Post reply" window.

I don't normally refer to the topic summary. When I want to reply to a topic I do so in a new tab (or window). That way I can always go back to the other view and see the complete thread in all it's original glory, including reply numbers.

Don

Now as I write this I see what you are referring to - they don't show up in the "Topic Summary" below the "Post reply" window.

Yes, just when you need them. :)

floresta: Now as I write this I see what you are referring to - they don't show up in the "Topic Summary" below the "Post reply" window.

They never did.

On many occasions I have had to say Reply #XX and post it and then modify it after checking the number. Occasionally I remember to open the Reply window in a new tab so I can see all the numbers.

...R