how to make a raindrop effect?

i need to make something like this http://youtu.be/aPkuTA6Jexo?t=2m6s

im thinking of getting an arduino duo(if theres a better one for the job please tell me) to do it, and i need a suggestion on the led strips best for this. length doesnt matter since i dont need it for anything, just practice.

i have pretty much anything i would need to setup the wiring as my father is an electrical engineer and has a large workshop. i dont know how to set up the wiring to the arduino but if someone could link a diagram of the setup i would need that would be awesome.

im doing the code for myself since thats what im challenging myself to do. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi louddifference,

How many strips and how many leds do you want to drive?

A common type of leds like these are ws2812b. They are very easy indeed to wire up. A single wire from an Arduino output goes to the "data in" connection on the first strip (via a resistor, e.g 330R). Another wire goes from the "data out" connection of the first strip to the "data in" connection on the second strip and so on. You will need a high current stabilised or switch mode power supply, which must be connected directly to the 5V and Ground connections on each strip (don't try to daisy-chain the power from one strip to the next, like you do with the data line - the current will be too much for this). This power supply can power the arduino also, through its 5V connection (not the barrel connector).

You will also some large capacitors (e.g. 1000uF) to smooth out current spikes from the strips, perhaps one per strip if they are long.

As for choice of Arduino, a Due may be overkill for this. Suggest an Uno or maybe a Mega, depending on the number & lengths of strips.

Paul

louddifference: i need to make something like this http://youtu.be/aPkuTA6Jexo?t=2m6s

im thinking of getting an arduino duo(if theres a better one for the job please tell me) to do it, and i need a suggestion on the led strips best for this. length doesnt matter since i dont need it for anything, just practice.

Use WS2812 strips.

You don't need an Arduino Due for that. WS2812 LED strips only need one I/O pin. An Arduino Uno will do the job (it might even be easier).

PaulRB: Hi louddifference,

How many strips and how many leds do you want to drive?

A common type of leds like these are ws2812b. They are very easy indeed to wire up. A single wire from an Arduino output goes to the "data in" connection on the first strip (via a resistor, e.g 330R). Another wire goes from the "data out" connection of the first strip to the "data in" connection on the second strip and so on. You will need a high current stabilised or switch mode power supply, which must be connected directly to the 5V and Ground connections on each strip (don't try to daisy-chain the power from one strip to the next, like you do with the data line - the current will be too much for this). This power supply can power the arduino also, through its 5V connection (not the barrel connector).

You will also some large capacitors (e.g. 1000uF) to smooth out current spikes from the strips, perhaps one per strip if they are long.

As for choice of Arduino, a Due may be overkill for this. Suggest an Uno or maybe a Mega, depending on the number & lengths of strips.

Paul

im only going to be driving a 1m strip. i have the power supply that i need. can it be any output on the arduino or does it need to be a certain one? sorry im new to this so i dont even know much about the basics of the wiring.

Hi,

A 1m strip can have anything from 30 to 144 leds. How many does yours have? Will you cut the strip?

Yes, almost any digital output on an Arduino can be used.

Say more about your power supply also. What are its capabilities?

Paul

PaulRB: Hi,

A 1m strip can have anything from 30 to 144 leds. How many does yours have? Will you cut the strip?

Yes, almost any digital output on an Arduino can be used.

Say more about your power supply also. What are its capabilities?

Paul

im accually going to be using 2m, each m has 60 leds so 120 in total, ill be buying these http://ebay.to/10CuZ9W

for the power supply ill be using a tenisi tns-1220 dc12v

louddifference: im accually going to be using 2m, each m has 60 leds so 120 in total, ill be buying these http://ebay.to/10CuZ9W

for the power supply ill be using a tenisi tns-1220 dc12v

Why would you use a 12V power supply when the Arduino and the LEDs both need 5V?

louddifference: for the power supply ill be using a tenisi tns-1220 dc12v

Not suitable!

Your 120 leds need up to 7.2A at 5V. You would need to regulate the 12V down to 5V. That means finding a regulator that can handle at least 10A, and also avoid overheating (it would have to dissipate over 50W of power - horribly inefficient!). Even then, there would not be enough current, as your PSU appears to supply only 2A.

The other option would be a DC-DC converter. This would convert your 2A at 12V to around 4A at 5V. Still not enough current.

Either option be more expensive than buying a suitable 5V supply (get one around 10A).

louddifference: for the power supply ill be using a tenisi tns-1220 dc12v

your wall wart is a 2 amp output.

this may be better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370786489030

you could find one with amperage closer to your needs.